Author Topic: Character Bendy Bow- Oak  (Read 7135 times)

Offline bowsandroses

Re: Character Bendy Bow- Oak
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 11:56:36 pm »
Looks good the back is way cool.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 09:49:51 am »
Loos good to me. Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline rps3

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 10:22:44 am »
Natives never took pics and posted them on the web either ;). Measurements help complete the picture. That aside, it does look good. I like how the drying checks formed down the limbs.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 10:54:39 am »
Very cool bow Tim.  The back looks real different, and I like different ;D

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 11:29:04 am »
<snip> Ain't no natives ever measured anything.  >:D
<snip>

Nice Bow.  It looks like a lot of fun too...

I gotta disagree with the above comment though.  Ever heard of Machu Pichu?  Native American astonomy?  Seen the intricate bead work patterns?  There are Aztec and Mayan masonry work that are still standing today WITH NO MORTAR.  The Anastazi built some pretty danged complex irrigation systems.  The roads used by the Cahokian people were engineering marvels for their time and location.  I think the native people measured and engineered a lot of stuff.  Just because we do not now know what they did or how does not mean that they did not do it.  The feats of engineering they accomplished were simply NOT POSSIBLE without some intense math and measurement.  I have no idea what or how they may have measured, but there is simply no chance that they did not.

OneBow

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 01:27:49 pm »
Wow I'm overwhelmed with all the kind words. Thank you all so much.  This forum is what helped me learn so much!  I'm not sure we realize how valuable this forum is. 

I love how it shoots.  First time I shot it I noticed something weird.  It was the total lack of noise.  This thing is silent.

When I peeled the bark off that's just how the back of the bow looked.  Didn't change at all while it seasoned.  It's stained brown from all the tannin in the bark.  When I peeled it the wood was white then a few minutes later it started turning brown like when you leave an apple out.

I'm not very good at identifying oaks but here's a shot of the tree and what the leaves look like.  As far as I can tell it's either Quercus laurifolia: Diamond Leaf Oak which is of the red oak family or it's a Quercus virginiana: Southern Live Oak which is of the white oak family. 

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 02:50:39 pm »
Looks like Southern Live Oak to me, which is supposed to be a really good bow wood (it's pretty much the densest oak in the states) if you can find a straight enough piece.  Trunk and branches like to be twisty.

Nice bow!
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline dbb

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 04:01:39 pm »
Nice bend and cool looking...What more is there to ask for  ;)
Well done
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Newindian

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 06:35:24 pm »
Funny thing is right when I tapped on this topic I was thinking about starting one to see if there were any live oak bows about, nice to see there are
I like free stuff.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 07:36:00 pm »
Funny thing is right when I tapped on this topic I was thinking about starting one to see if there were any live oak bows about, nice to see there are
this is the first piece I've worked with and I hadn't really heard much about it.  I grabbed it when my neighbor was trimming his tree just cause it was free.  I really didn't expect this stave to amount to anything.  I'll definitely cut more this spring and summer.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 08:40:01 pm »
Cool, looks a lot like Australian Pine.
1’—>1’

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 09:46:38 am »
Really nice bend on that piece of oak.  Good work.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 07:53:41 pm »
Thanks guys!  Ooh I'm going to have to cut me some casuarina!