Author Topic: Point ID ?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline knapperhead

Point ID ?
« on: January 10, 2014, 11:09:27 am »
I found this in the canyon behind my house in Travis County Tx. Most of the points in this area are Pedernales. I can't figure out what it is, the closest thing in the Overstreet are the Harahey and Leflore blade. Any ideas?
Bottom is flat

Side

Thanks for looking
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:12:30 am by knapperhead »

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: Point ID ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:05:06 pm »
All I can tell you is if someone brought that into our archeologists for ID, they would likely just hear that it is a tool, possibly a knife of unknown age. I'd say that tools like that were produced from Paleo to Mississippian times and could serve many functions from scraping to wood working due to the bevel. Since so many cultures and cultural periods could have produced it and it was found outside of archeological context, pinning down a name would be difficult. Your only real hope in my opinion is to find someone who is very familiar with the archeology of your area and could inturn make an educated guess based on that familiarity.

- That was a long-winded way of saying "I don't know!" LOL

Maybe someone with one of those Field Guide to Stone Artifacts of Texas will chime in.

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 12:39:41 pm »
thank sfor the reply Dalton Knapper, I think I still have the book you mentioned but I can't find it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 01:57:18 pm »
Yep, DK summed it up pretty good. Without a stem or being a little finished up it's just a worked piece of rock. A lot of point ageing and type descriptions rely on what kind of bases they have or, lack of.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:10:09 pm »
Knapper,Looks like gnarly material for TX peds. just my guess.
The thickness in photo two, may suggest an abandoned earlier preform that found duty as a knife or other tool.
Matching it to other known types from the site could help.
A very nice artifact no matter.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 12:15:18 am »
Looks like a Pandora:  Middle to Late Archaic Period.  Sometimes very crudely knapped.  Common in central Texas.

Or it's a doo-hickey knifescraper sharprock.  Your choice.   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 07:38:52 pm »
^^^^ha ha, i find lots of stuff around here that is pretty beat up. No telling how old some of it is, the Leandrathal Lady was found about 4 miles away as a crow flies:

www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/webcasts/time/resources/leanderthal.phtml