Author Topic: Bow trade?  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Kennedy

• Denham Springs, Louisiana
Bow trade?
« on: January 23, 2014, 09:30:14 pm »
What is bow trade?
I'm about as green as it gets to this forum sorry if I offend haha

Offline seabass

Re: Bow trade?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:38:19 pm »
every year folks on here sign up for a bow trade.if you put your name in,you get a name back.you make a bow to send to your name and you get one back from someone else.only thing is,you don't know who gets your name.hope this helps.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:42:28 pm »
Yeah it did. Thanks

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:56:59 pm »
glad I could help buddy.welcome aboard.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 10:15:24 pm »
When you enter, you also have to give some basic statistics that will help your bowyer know what can and can't be done.  For example, I would state that I have a 26" draw, can't handle much over 50 lbs of draw weight, am right handed, and can shoot with or without a shelf. 

Once my bowyer has my information, he or she can flat out do anything they feel like subjecting you to.  They can make an 80" longbow or a 38" sinew backed Dall sheep shoshone style bow.  The bowyer might research everything you have posted to get a fix on what style bows you seem to  like and they may use that for a template....or they might decide you need to be pushed out of your comfort zone with another style of bow.  All the while you are doing the same for someone else.

And then one day, you are wearing camoflauge and facepaint, squatting in a bush, not moving a muscle...not even blinking as a fly walks across your eyeball when the mail truck drives up.  The driver steps out with a long skinny package and you launch, screaming, from the hide-out!  You snatch the package from the postman's hands and run pell-mell up the drive to your house while chewing thru the 48 layers of packing tape holding it closed.  Strings of tape tangle your teeth as you mutter to yourself, "My precious!  Precious!  Oh, my precious!"

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, right folks?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:40:34 pm »
I think you nailed it Jdub.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 10:59:00 pm »
Jdub i don't think anyone has had a different experience.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 11:49:00 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:  Makes me want to get in.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 07:06:17 am »
Haha. It sounds like a blast. I might be able to enter next. Just need to get some experience. Haven't built a bow yet but in the next week I'll be starting one with Osage!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 07:34:25 am »
It would be better to wait until you are SURE, without question, you can make a safe and well tillered bow Kennedy. That is what often gets folks in trouble with this swap. They think they can only to find out they cant just yet, and that's when things get sticky. Its not about finish or fanciness, that's irrelevant. It just has to be safe and bend nicely.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:51:54 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.