Author Topic: Weight of Points  (Read 2112 times)

Offline SamIAm

Weight of Points
« on: February 03, 2014, 05:14:22 pm »
What are the factors in determining the proper weight of a point to use on an arrow?  Did a search of the "arrows" category and didn't find anything. 
Thanks.
"To thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Weight of Points
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 05:28:44 pm »
Modern arrow spine value is for a 28" arrow with a 125gr point. For each 25grs you add to that decrease the spine by 5# and the reverse for 5# less.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 05:29:08 pm »
Is it for target archery or for hunting?

If for hunting, then find a favorite broadhead, and get a fieldpoint of the same weight - I like heavy broadheads, but that's personal preference. Mine usually are in the 160 grain range. The only rule here is practice with what you're going to hunt with.

If this is for target archery, then it depends on what ranges you're going to be shooting. I like to go heavy when I'm closer to the target, (160 grain) but I use 125 grain for the longer 100 yard shots. The wind tends to get them a little more, but you don't have to elevate as much.

But, once again, this is personal preference.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 06:11:36 pm »
OK.....so really no factors in choosing the weight of the field point or the broadhead, just personal preference.  Naturally if you use a 125 grain broadhead for hunting you're going to want to practice with a 125 field point.
"To thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:53:32 pm »
Yes, you want to practice with the same point weight as you plan to hunt with.  But, you still have to practice with the broadheads because they may fly differently than a field point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC