Author Topic: pack goats  (Read 3950 times)

Offline wildman

Re: pack goats
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 07:33:55 am »
Stickbender,they will amaze you where they can get. The young ones are like 30lb cockroaches (scurry anywhere eat anything). I really believe you can weld a 3 month old goat inside a 1'' steelplate box and it will eat the top of the box and be out faster than David Copperfield.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 02:54:18 pm »
     I can well imagine, that they can be like four legged termites.  Yeah, my Lt. said when he turned to lean out the window, and came face to face with that goat, in the middle of the night, he almost had to get a clean pair of pants! ;D  The goat would come out to greet them, like a dog would, when they came home.  One of my favorite dishes, is curried goat, and rice.  The white goat in the picture, almost looks as though she likes to have her picture taken. 8)  There was a goat at a ranch, when I was about 14 or so, and if you would bent over to pick up something, or look under something, this Billy goat, would knock you over!  It was just like in the movies.  He just could not resist, "Butting" ;D someone if the opportunity presented itself.  Of course we took full advantage of that, with newcomers.... ::) ;D ;D  One day I was there, and I saw the goat, which had knocked me down a few times, and he had three horizontal wounds, with purple medicine, streaks, on each.  I asked one of the people there what had happened to it, and they replied, that the goat had knocked the owner into the horse trough, and he threw the pitch fork at him. :o ;D ;D  The Billies, are nasty though, as they have the nasty habit of peeing on themselves.   :P
What breed are yours?  I think my Lt.'s goat was a Nubian.  Not sure, can't remember, but I do think it was, it was a pretty good sized one.  I remember years ago, when I was fairly young, my Cousin telling my Dad about seeing a big nanny goat, run across the road in front of him, and a few yards behind her, a big Buck deer, was hot on her trail.  I don't know, but would suspect that they could inter breed.  Be an interesting outcome.  Do you make cheese?  I love Feta cheese.  I put it on just about everything.  Great in omelets, and salads.  How many goats do you have?  Oops, I think Feta is made from Sheep milk. 
                                                                                Wayne

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:26:43 pm by stickbender »

Offline wildman

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 10:39:39 pm »
We have Alpine and Boers, the big white nanny is Boer. The two boers are almost like dogs as far as friendly. The others are milk goats not personable ,but still nice and will pack. We do make farmers cheese which when dry is almost like Feta, nothing beats homemade wine and goat cheese with my wifes fresh made pitas!

Keith
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:06 pm »
pretty neat but i'm thinking if your goats are going to be doing some serious packing a saddle frame would probably be a good idea for the goats health wise.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 09:00:28 am »
one of the very first issues of Primitive Archer had an article on pack goats. Volume 1 issue 3 had the article, volume 2 issue one has a picture on the cover.
45# at 27"