Author Topic: How Long Should I Let my Sinew Backing Dry?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Swatch

How Long Should I Let my Sinew Backing Dry?
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:07:54 pm »
I just applied sinew to my juniper bow today and I am wondering how long should I let it dry before attempting to tiller it? It is 56 inches long and about 1/38 inches wide. I have three courses of sinew on it with about 1 hour between each course. Thanks for you help!
Steve Hatch
The Yurt Man

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: How Long Should I Let my Sinew Backing Dry?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 11:10:47 pm »
It's dependent on your humidity and temperature.  Count the days off until you think it is dry...and double it at the very least!  At my very low humidity up here in western South Dakota I often give a minimum of 30 days.

Remember, the wood will be absorbing much of the moisture and it will take time to cure that out of the cells, too.   

Where ever you chose to leave the bow to cure out, make sure there is air movement.  That helps a great deal, can't be overstated...airflow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Swatch

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 11:17:58 pm »
Thank you, that is about what I was thinking. I live in a yurt and I have good airflow from the fan on my wood burning stove, so I should be ok!
Thanks again!
Steve Hatch
The Yurt Man

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 11:20:25 pm »
Even the convections currents from heat rising from the wood stove will make a difference.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Swatch

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:22:40 pm »
I will put it up till the first week of May!
Steve Hatch
The Yurt Man

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 11:48:14 pm »
Sounds cool. Hope to see it when done.

Remember, the wood will be absorbing much of the moisture and it will take time to cure that out of the cells, too.   

I recently had an ERC bow go from couple inches reflex to couple deflex from just the moisture of applying sinew. I didn't have it tied into reflex. It was kinda cool to watch it and then it reversed back to original reflex.