Author Topic: New hunting clothes... Dark Ages/Medieval  (Read 8946 times)

Offline IsaacW

New hunting clothes... Dark Ages/Medieval
« on: April 10, 2014, 01:00:20 pm »
Hunting with a self-bow but in RealTree camo has felt odd to me.  SO... I am almost done creating a new set of hunting clothes for myself.  I am basically setting this up for 10th century Hiberno-Norse.  Anyway, more can be seen here as to the outfit and my thoughts... http://frenchinwisconsin.com/2014/04/older-school/

We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: New hunting clothes... Dark Ages/Medieval
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:48:03 pm »
I've hunted while wearing my great kilt, the plaid really breaks up an outline nicely!  Plus there is a very special freedom of movement while wearing it!   ;D

Just like choosing modern clothes to wear, you gotta ask if it is comfortable, warm enough, quiet enough, and breaks up your outline.  Other than that, it's all cosmetics.  But I would still carry a nice Viking hand axe with that get-up just to keep wheelie bow guys from snickering. I think it adds a degree of authenticity and shows you are serious.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:04:14 pm »
That is great Isaac, but I liked you better as a Cherokee on Howard's Creek..lol

Well done as always, you always do your best with detail and research
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:05:28 pm »
I've hunted while wearing my great kilt, the plaid really breaks up an outline nicely!  Plus there is a very special freedom of movement while wearing it!   ;D

Just like choosing modern clothes to wear, you gotta ask if it is comfortable, warm enough, quiet enough, and breaks up your outline.  Other than that, it's all cosmetics.  But I would still carry a nice Viking hand axe with that get-up just to keep wheelie bow guys from snickering. I think it adds a degree of authenticity and shows you are serious.   >:D
What do you put on those white, shinie legs, JW?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:10:30 pm »

What do you put on those white, shinie legs, JW?

Blinds the deer.  You never heard of a deer blind?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 10:23:15 am »
Just like choosing modern clothes to wear, you gotta ask if it is comfortable, warm enough, quiet enough, and breaks up your outline.  Other than that, it's all cosmetics.

Being in historic clothes A LOT... I find this as or more comfortable than a lot of things.  I think it will be good for most of deer season but I fear a bit warm for the early part of bow season.  That is not my favorite time to hunt anyway and will maybe just sit it out some. 

But I would still carry a nice Viking hand axe with that get-up just to keep wheelie bow guys from snickering. I think it adds a degree of authenticity and shows you are serious.   >:D

INDEED   >:D    Actually I have an ax that would do nicely!

That is great Isaac, but I liked you better as a Cherokee on Howard's Creek..lol

MAN!  That was long ago but still fondly remembered!

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 11:00:01 am »
Hey, Isaac
Cool duds.

There is a group of like minded folks you might wanna check out... they hunt in medieval and norse garb.

St Hubert's Rangers. Google it.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 12:38:33 pm »

There is a group of like minded folks you might wanna check out... they hunt in medieval and norse garb.

St Hubert's Rangers. Google it.

Yes, thanks!  After posting my blog, someone commented on it with a link to the St Hubert group.  I have been slowly reading and looking at it.  It is very interesting and, I must admit, inspiring.   I have done a lot of 17th and 18th century hunting for game of all size (flintlock and matchlock) but seeing what they do is awesome and I look forward to giving it my best attempt!!

IW
Aldo Leopold

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 12:55:44 pm »
Great Get-Up there Isaac! I've always been told to be careful wearing anything white into the deer woods though. Not as big a deal w/ the bow, but be careful if hunting during gun season in that white tunic. Looks great though!! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 02:20:55 pm »
Thanks.  The tunic is more of a pale greenish yellow and by hunting season will likely be dingy and dirt on top of it.  It will not be worn during the gun season, especially with hunter orange requirements.   T

Thanks again,

IW
Aldo Leopold

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 04:55:40 am »
Way cool ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.