Author Topic: Local Arrow Making Materials - Mojave Desert  (Read 6396 times)

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
Re: Local Arrow Making Materials - Mojave Desert
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 05:16:53 pm »
Guy,

I will keep my eye out for scarred juniper. I'd be very interested in making a bow out of local material.

And as far as proximity, it turns out we're neighbors. I'm on Buenos Aires by Buena Vista. I'll wave next time I drive by
Best Regards,

Andrew

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 05:34:23 pm »
Wow, talk about a small world!
We're closer than you think, I'm nearer to you than Custer/Buenos Aires. I'm actually on Buenos Aires in the mustard yellow house with the green mailbox.

Guy

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 06:32:01 pm »
Awesome, I'm the mint green house with the stone outbuilding in front. Second from Buena Vista.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 02:21:48 am »

Try to contact "Juniper

TRY to contact "Juniper Junkie".  I haven't seen him on here for awhile.  He is in Oregon.  He is like his nick name, he loves making bows from Juniper.  From what I have read about the Mojave Indians, their bows were not the best, and used mainly for rabbits, and birds, or I would think fish also.  They curved the tips of their bows inward.  I would not think honey mesquite would make much of an arrow either, but maybe they split, and scraped the limbs down, to make the shafts.  The pictures that I have seen of their arrows, they seemed fairly long.

Wayne

'

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 12:08:58 pm »
Stick,

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking about the comment you made about the length of their arrows, and I was tempted with the idea of straightening creosote to make arrow shafts. It is so plentiful that, if it shot well, I can see no better resource. It is, however, very stiff when dry, so I imagine a longer arrow would be necessary.  I will experiment and let you all know how it goes.

I will look up Juniper Junkie.  Juniper is a beautiful wood and I'd love to see a bow made out of it.

Thanks!
Best Regards,

Andrew