Author Topic: The old(ish) and the new  (Read 1972 times)

Don Case

The old(ish) and the new
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:54:45 pm »
I remembered Tim using candles for this and I thought I would try a coal oil lamp. I remember lighting smokes on one. It works really well. You can lay the arrow right on the chimney and the temp is just about perfect. It takes 30-60 seconds. It's way quieter than the Wagner so I can still hear Ten Years After on the shop stereo.

Offline bow101

Re: The old(ish) and the new
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:38:59 pm »
Thats a great idea and not as aggressive as some methods and faster than others.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:03:49 pm »
It could stand to be a little wider for those long bends but it works great. I'm thinking of one with a wide wick and a metal chimney. It gets hot enough in less than a minute but if you get sidetracked you can leave it for 3 or 4 minutes and it's just barely starting to colour.  I think this will be great for when I'm RV'ing. Sit around the campfire with a bunch of arrows and a lamp to heat them. Perfect-almost

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 09:43:09 pm »
I like that! 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 12:10:46 am »
Oh its all good....... :)  are those OS shafts.?  I still have to get out and cut some Ocean Spray soon I hope.  :P
There is this dam tree across the road from me, not able to identify it yet but its about 30-35 feet high has these white flowers in the shape of Lilac and the small branches are sort of Palm looking, the trunk splits into 3-4.  This tree is quite rare in the area. The bark is dark and kind of knarly looking. I'am going to cut off a small branch and head down to the Nursery see if they can identify it.
And there is another one down the road, problem is if the nighbour see's me cutting it they'll rat on me.  This wood is absolutely nuts, you can bend it a full 360 degrees without it breaking. It has very smooth light coloured green bark.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 12:35:32 am »
Post a picture!