Author Topic: hhb buid along  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Bloodhound

hhb buid along
« on: July 13, 2014, 01:21:12 pm »
Last summer I harvested a peice of hhb at my cabin, it was at the site of my first deer kill there. It has been drying at my dads house since then. I brought it home last week and with some guidance from half eye a bow is started.

Roughed it on the band saw then the disc sander, has a nice floor tiller, time to get the scraper out. Beautiful day to sit on a lawn chair scraping.

I will try and chronicle the build, feel free to chime in with advice.

Offline Bloodhound

Re: hhb buid along
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 01:23:12 pm »
Oh I forgot measurements, its 52.5 inches long, right now its 1.25 at the grip and narrows to .75 at the tips. Hoping for 27 inch draw at near 50 pounds.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 01:32:55 pm »
  It should make a nice bow, I would consider a bend through the handle at that short length and narrow width.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 02:03:20 pm »
nice looking start ya got there. 8) That ironwood (hop-hornbeam) will bend a radical circle for sure.
rich

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 03:14:52 pm »
It will bend through the handle. Left some meat there for now but will reduce with scraper

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 03:30:35 pm »
So its bending nicely, time to make a string and add nocks. I traditionally have uses single side nocks and liked that but I remember halfeye had some cool  carved ones in his build along. What are your thoughts? Also halfeye if you see this and want to post a pic of some of those nocks I would appreciate.

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 04:01:49 pm »
So hit a snag, went to build a sting and I cant find my b50 any where. Been packing up to move soon so no use searching for it much more. Going to place an order to 3 rivers today but now have another question. B50 or fast flight? probably getting some b50 either way but wondering if fast flight is worth a try. Either way I guess it gives me time to contemplate the nock design and rough out the maple bow Im building for my wifes friend while I wait for string.

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 04:03:52 pm »
Here are a couple of close up pics of one I'm working on right now. First one is the rough out and the second is the same with some carvings started. Hope these help....if not please let me know.
rich

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 05:50:14 pm »
I use b50 forever but I wouldn't do anything without d97 now, not only do you get more strings from a roll, but you don't get slapped in the arm all the time, plus the better performance
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline dbb

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 03:57:23 am »
Go for the FF and dont look back!
You wont be sorry.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 11:10:13 am »
Looks like a nice profile. Looking forward to seeing it finished up. Got a good mentor  ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Newindian

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 11:57:17 am »
I just switched to d97. You won't use b50 after going to d97, I replaced the string on one of my bows (54" long bow) before stringing the b50 string was about half an inch shorter then the d97 string and after string the b50 string is half an inch longer. So the b50 stretches roughly an inch where as the d97 had no noticeable stretch. I also weighed them the b50 weighed 85grains (with no serving) and the d97 string weighed 50grains (with two layers of serving because it is so much thinner).
I like free stuff.