Author Topic: BBO ready for the glue up  (Read 4497 times)

Stringman

Re: BBO ready for the glue up
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 10:40:27 am »
Out of the form and startin to lay out the bow.

Hoping this goes well cause it sure is a purty handle! Any advise on dimensions?

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 10:52:51 am »
On a standard bbo like that I go 1 1/8" wide at the fades for 6",then taper to your tips...someone elses mileage may vary  ::)  ;)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 10:55:25 am »
Were do you guys get the Osage boards? I can seem to find it anywhere.   3 rivers is even out.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Stringman

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 12:00:19 pm »
That sounds about like what I was gonna do Chris.

Tim, I cut my own for this build. It helps to have an abundance of Osage.  ::)

Stringman

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 06:53:29 pm »
Ok, here's the update. After cutting it out and starting the floor tillering process I noticed a small seperation between the power lam and the handle. I shot some thin CA glue into the crack and clamped her back down.

Next I put a string on it and got the tiller close. The crack had not reappeared so I took a chance and shaped the handle.

Here's to hoping!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 09:02:19 pm »
Getting closer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 07:39:55 am »
I sure hope that handle is going to stay on firmly! You should have put that powerlam in between the osage and bamboo. That is the only place a true powerlam should be located. It's currently more of a long handle extension. Those small gaps in between the lams also don't help.
But it's certainly a beautiful bow! I love that wood and figure of the riser.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 09:44:59 am »
  Stringman, thats not a powerlam, a power lam would be between the belly and the back and it would have stiffined up your handle enough to avoid lifting. Yours is just a built up handle.

Stringman

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 09:53:27 am »
Thanks for the correction on terminology. I see what you mean about the power lam being sandwiched between belly and backing... makes sense.

The gaps on the handle lams seem to have gone away after the second glue and reclamp. This bow will never be a bow I'm overly proud of, but I did learn several thing on it. Maybe if I make a few more I will find one I can post.

Thanks for the help!