Author Topic: Back yard picking  (Read 3569 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Back yard picking
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 10:08:53 am »
And watermelon seeds. I've seen lots of stunted watermelons at the plants I've worked at.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 02:35:45 pm »
Tomato seeds will live through the composting process. At our local dump they make compost to sell, sometimes you get a tomato or two. I wasn't aware that Cannabis came with seeds anymore.  >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 03:06:52 pm »
Speaking of tomatoes, here is what my tomato crop looks like after late blight struck. A few days ago they looked good. Now it looks like if frosted last night. I'm in the process of removing all the plants and fallen fruit and hauling it to the dump.
 I was able to collect enough ripe fruit over the last few days to make one batch of stewed tomatoes with peppers, onions and garlic today. Unfortunately the vast majority of the fruit will not ripen without rotting.
 We still have 3 kinds of peppers(bell, Anaheim and sweet bananas) and our okras just starting to kick in.  Squash and cucumbers have run their course.
A sad affair...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 03:12:26 pm »
Thats what mine are doin now to Pat. I snapped off every brown twig and theyre still producing...
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 05:42:47 pm »
The fruit gets it too. We've tried picking fruit that is almost ripe and let them ripen in the house but it all goes bad before it ripens. I hope you have better luck.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 07:29:14 pm »
Ive had that problem with our cherokee purples but they are an heirloom. They will flat explode if left on a day to long it seems and they dont ripen more after ya pick them???? But boyhowdy when ya catch em right their the best mators ive ever had!! Just cut the tops off of the tators..in 2 weeks we'll dig them up...and got the 1st canteloupe chillin inda fridge... We planted everything but tomatoes from seed and we planted Memorial weekend which is kinda late.. I should plant about the time we go to the Classic, lol.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 01:37:08 pm »
For as much time as we put into our garden we did not get a whole bunch out of it. Can't put it in the ground due to gophers and the GD ground squirrels eat everything else. Had some nice melons and then the GDGS ate the middles out and left me rinds! >:(.  Only one spot without aviary wire on it and that is where they go. Still getting bell peppers and some cukes. A very few flying saucer squash, no tomatoes this year. Then a doe came through and hit the wifes flowers. more fence went up. Wishin we had a long as growin season as some of y'alls, at least to be able to get a pineapple like that!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 06:47:03 pm »
I'm waiting to pick my Muscadines and Scupanongs so I can start my first batch of wine. And just planted okra and zucchini a few weeks ago. It won't get cold till maybe Dec, Jan, or Feb.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 10:07:33 am »
Thanks for the reminder Mullet, I need to get my late peas in.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.