Author Topic: First arrow build questions  (Read 3103 times)

Offline OffTiller

First arrow build questions
« on: September 04, 2014, 01:58:02 pm »
hey guys, first posting on this side. I have started to build my 6 arrows, hawk feathers, artificial sinew and glue on broads (with intent to make broads out of tie plates soon). i have a few questions about arrow length, weight, and spine. i just finished my 65# mollie. my bow before was a fiberglass recurve. with my old bow i found shooting longer arrrows yielded better results - so i was shooting 36" arrows. I built an arrow last night - 36", 682 gr. (10.5gpi) dowel arrow, with 5" hawk feather fletchings for my mollie (which i shoot of the hand). I want a heavier arrow and cutting down to 34 or 32 will put me below 10 gpi. what are the general feelings of length and weight for my first heavy hitter. oh and my draw is 28". thanks to everyone.
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First arrow build questions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 02:06:50 pm »
First off get rid of the hawk feathers. They are federally protected and the hunting in Leavenworth Prison isn't all that good. Seriously it is very illegal for you to even posses any raptor feathers.
 I prefer longer arrows. I cut mine 30" for my 26" draw. How does the longer arrow fly for you in the Mollie?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:20:33 pm »
well those are going to be hard to let go. I collected them from a hawk that i found dead on the highway, didn't even know they were illegal. they are beautiful. they seem to do fine, i have to get use to shooting off hand, but other than that, i do get a little side to side action out of the nock end, but maybe sometimes that could be my release?
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:25:24 pm »
just looked up legality and i am super bummed. they shouldn't have to be tossed, but i don't want to poke the bear. Just sucks to have to throw away something like that. i don't think road kill hawks are found everyday. sucks even more to have to go back to duck tape fletchings or even worse, aluminum arrows.... boo!!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 02:48:25 pm »
Just get some turkey feathers. They can be bought quite cheap. Maybe you can even trade for some.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline OffTiller

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 02:50:47 pm »
i would if i could find a reputable source. amazon is the only place i can kinda rely on as i hate ebay with a passion that burns in my loins. any suggestions on other avenues?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 03:13:00 pm »
Most hobby stores have feathers. Talk to goose and turkey hunters. They usually just throw them away. Also try our own "Trading Post".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 03:37:00 pm »
Hello Offtiller,  I have some turkey, white and some dyed red I can part with if you'd like them. I dont really need anything at this time just a mailing addy. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 08:53:03 pm »
I draw 26 and cut my arrows to 27
Not sure about performance, I just think it looks weird
when you fully draw a bow, and there's 6" of arrow poking
off the end.
I wrapped my first few batches with artificial sinew, and althought it
looks cool, it always ends of fraying and falling off. Even trying to saturate
it with glue doesn't work, because its waxed.
Use either real sinew and hide glue, or a few strands of silk thread with super glue dabbed
on after to form a shell. Will not fray and fall off

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 11:14:37 pm »
I usually put an extra inch of shaft on my arrows. For one thing, so if the tip breaks off while target shooting, I can just cut it and replace the point and I'm back in business. And with broadheads, no chance of drawing the blade into my finger.

On feathers, turkey feathers are absolutely authentic for Native American arrows. Many people think that Native arrows were fletched with raptor feathers. But this was usually for ceremonial arrows. Raptors are very hard to take and, usually, there was one guy in a tribe who specialized in catching raptors and it could be a painful experience the way some tribes did it. But raptor feathers are not as rugged as turkey feathers so turkey feathers were the popular choice since they were easier to acquire and were more durable. When you spend a day on an arrow, the more durable the materials, the better.

Now, the Hopi have a Kachina dance that requires arrows fletched with black feathers. Back in the day, these would have been crow or raven feathers. But now, most Hopi just go to the archery shop and get black fletching. It isn't where the feather came for per se more than the color. I helped out some Hopis with some black banana cut fletching I had when they were looking for it and the archery shop sold out.

As far as European fletching choice, I think they used mostly goose feathers back in the day. The Japanese did use golden eagle feathers and I've seen those arrows.

So, don't be dismayed about the hawk feathers. You can use turkey feathers and be totally authentic. And they're more durable in the long run.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...