Author Topic: pre draw  (Read 4156 times)

Offline jayman448

pre draw
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:01:51 pm »
so It dawned on me today. if you watch tribal people of Africa, they have a distinct half draw technique, and they land their shots right on the money it seems. what is the importance of this half draw? I tried it and it seemed to work better for me then a quicker swing draw. why whould this be? and is speed of a swing draw, or steadiness of a half cock pre draw technique more important in hunting? (what should I practice)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: pre draw
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 09:04:48 am »
I've always believed you shoot what ever technique is most comfortable for you, that usually is the one you'll get the best results from. I've tried so many different shooting "styles" over the years, with varied results. I finely just settled in to what was comfortable. I often do the half draw, seems to work for me, but may not work for everybody.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:01:20 am »
Just before I'm ready to shoot, either target or hunting I put tension on the string and maybe a 1/4 draw. For me, I get a more consistent draw with the early tension that increases as my draw does.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mhof86

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 11:31:25 am »
For me when I am shooting stationary targets I find myself swinging up into a full draw. However on moving targets or spinning targets I use somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/2 draw. I have noticed myself jumping between the two different shooting styles and am not sure how detrimental this is to me being consistent.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 03:35:45 pm »
I read somewhere(TBB I think) that their fletching was longer than their brace height. So they hold the bow at half draw to avoid the noise of the fletching dragging across bow. That sounds reasonable to me :)

Offline jayman448

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 10:37:36 pm »
DC. that's interesting. I hadn't thought of that.  ive been playing around with this pre set pre draw thing since I posted this. my goodness im hunt ready if I just have a set pre draw. naturally I just want to swingdraw but with paper cup accuracy at twenty yards im not going to discriminate! hope the guys in my club don't mind (they do discriminate... heavily XD)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 06:55:58 pm »
shoot how you shoot best,, hitting the target is the only thing that matters, not what you look like

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 09:07:48 pm »
Maybe the "half-draw" is done because the string has very little tension at brace and the archer is simply putting some tension on the string so the arrow can be held easily.  I don't know if African tribes make bows with low brace tension but some ancient bows were probably made this way to prevent wear on the strings.  Of course, there is no proof of this with ancient bows.  Just my opinion.  :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jrmeza

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 12:29:33 pm »
The draw style that you described reminded me of a video I watched the other day showing a guy who pretty much stands by that half draw technique and explains it and shows it in detail.
Here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=414_zlmriAo

Like everyone has said, do what works for you best. I'm just starting out, and I realize that what works for me best will change on the situation too. So I like this style of shooting, and it seems to come easy to me, but since my only bow is moderately light in poundage, I know I can't afford to do only half draw. It seems to me that this technique is great in hunting situations because of the maneuverability of only have to do half a draw, but only if your bow is high enough poundage to kill something with half draw.

That's just my 2 pennys, hope this helped! Watch the video, it explains it better than me!

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 09:11:00 pm »
!Ryan Gill, the guy in the video is a member here and his videos are a very good source of info
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹