Author Topic: Can a tree be too big for stave making???  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Chad

Can a tree be too big for stave making???
« on: September 11, 2014, 10:43:02 pm »
I tried to search too see if someone asked this before but there was quite a few hits on staves if you can imagine, anyway, they demolished a house near me and they included a hackberry tree in the process. They must have wood chipped all the small branches but left the base of the tree which is quite big, at least two and half feet in diameter. Is there a point when a tree is too big for stave making??? Thanks

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Can a tree be too big for stave making???
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:50:51 pm »
Only if the tree is bigger than your ambition!  A big hammer and a steel wedge will start the split.  Make a couple of wooden wedges out of 2x4 scrap, they will not last forever, but they will last long enough.  Something that can reach in and cut thru "stringy" stuff will help.  A long handled chisel, heck, even a hatchet helps. 

Hackberry is pretty amenable to splitting.  It's a whole world easier than elm or cottonwood!

If you can't come up with at least one steel wedge, do NOT use an axe or a hatchet as a wedge.  Heck of a great way to ruin a good tool.  You can use a chainsaw to start the split, too.  Or even a handsaw will get a cut started that can be opened with wedges. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:57:00 pm »
sounds like some work, but alot of staves,,,, :)

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 10:58:23 pm »
Chad, a neighbor of mine had a 110 year old hickory blow over in March.  A bowyer friend and I decided we couldn't split the 29" diameter trunk into staves, so we cut two 40" lengths and split out 21 pairs of billets from the one 80" trunk section.  It is beautiful wood.......straight and clean.  It took four steel wedges and both of us driving them to get the first split, but it was worth every bit of effort.
If the wood looks good, go for it.....with some help.  I hate to see prime bow wood not be utilized.
Drew
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Chad

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 11:20:30 pm »
Thanks for all the great input, definitely would have to put some work into it if I choose to do so. Such a shame they woodchipped all the limbs that I might be able to manage more successfully. I think if I choose to tackle this a large chainsaw might be a good way to get it going. Thanks again.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 11:23:50 pm »
I've cut osage trees over 24".  Got 109 staves from one tree.  I'd imagine a big hackberry would be easier to split as long as it is straight grained.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Chad

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:31:05 pm »
I've cut osage trees over 24".  Got 109 staves from one tree.  I'd imagine a big hackberry would be easier to split as long as it is straight grained.

109! I don't even know where I would put all those staves!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:45:59 pm »
I do my first split on big trunks with a chainsaw, piece of cake.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 08:48:35 pm »

109! I don't even know where I would put all those staves!

You would probably do like OO did....store staves with people all over the country!  Heck, I got one in my garage!!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 09:01:19 pm »
Yep.  3 years later and I can count my remaining staves on one hand.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 09:11:09 pm »
Yep.  3 years later and I can count my remaining staves on one hand.

If you come up short, Clint, I can send you back that piece you gave me.  It'd hurt like the dickens to part with that piece, and there is an awfully short list of people that I would consider passing that stave on to...but you are at the head of that list.  Knowing your resourceful personality, my offer is pretty safe!!!