Author Topic: Tillering when bow is strung  (Read 5692 times)

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Tillering when bow is strung
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 08:51:46 pm »
once I get the tiller pretty even, I leave the string on, mark any stiff spots, scrape the marks off, pull it 25 times on the tiller tree, and then repeat until within 5#...then I sand.... but... WATCH THE STRING..  :o
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 08:53:10 pm »
Bowyers knot aka timber hitch.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 08:55:12 pm »
I have a scraper handle with a smooth back and once I'm low braced that's all I use.

Offline bow101

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 11:01:54 pm »
I did a search thinking this question has probably been asked but didn't find anything, I was wondering if I can tiller with the string on??? It would save a little time of destring constantly. This is my first bow so I'm moving pretty slow with the tiller stage, taking only a tiny bit of wood each time. Of course I wouldn't keep strung for long periods of time, but it would expedite my excruciating slow process I'm on.

This would be for fine tuning, just getting the limbs to bend evenly not reducing large amounts of draw weight.

Thanks.

This is exactly what I did today.  Tiller check on the stick then clamp the bow and remove material, easy peasy............. :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 12:08:59 am »
Yes do this all the time. But tiller should be nearly o.k.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Chad

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 08:01:11 pm »
Bowyers knot aka timber hitch.  ;)

got it, Thanks! I'm waiting for my Dacron to arrive!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 09:40:59 pm »
I hate to be the guy to do this, but why shouldn't you tiller with the string on? I've only made a half dozen bows and all of them I've tillered with the string on from low brace to finished. They seem OK but what do I know. Other than accidentally cutting the string what problems can it cause?
Thanks
Don

noticed noone answered this.... ;D.....bet everyone does it...more than they will say...might give ya a bit of set but not gonna kill the bow.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 07:42:03 am »
Sometimes for final tweaks,but not normally early in the process, you said it will speed you up and I guess you are right but you need to remember ,it ant a race,slow and steady,removing the string gives you time to think and also gives the bow a little rest. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 11:09:13 am »
As soon as I can fit a scraper between the string and the bow I only un string to shorten the string or when I stop working on it of the day. I hold the scraper so my hand is between the top of the scraper and the string and only scrape from the tip to towards the belly. I haven't cut a string yet.

Patrick

Offline DavidV

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 01:24:00 pm »
Make sure you excercise the bow a LOT, I do this but I've found if you don't excercise it you may end up with a hinge where you scraped too much.
Springfield, MO

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 03:13:06 pm »
Remember that when you exercise the bow you are also exercising yourself. :D :D By the time you finish that 75# bow you might actually be able to pull it ;D ;D