Author Topic: How Do I fix This?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline arachnid

How Do I fix This?
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:56:20 am »
Hi guys.
I had 2 sister billets with a light twist. I spliced them but accidentaly glued them
the wrong way and now I have a stave with a twist (or should I say- turn...) in one limb! The swisted limb is too thick and wide to steam.

Is this fixable? How?

Pics:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How Do I fix This?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:45:22 am »
What glue did you use? If you used Unibond(Urac) you can use a light heating to straighten it. If you used TB glue, heat it until the glue releases, take the splice apart, clean the glue surfaces, correct the problem and re-glue it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline arachnid

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:53:49 am »
I'll give it a try. Thanks Pat.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 10:06:32 am »
Yep, enough hit is every glues end.
Next time, watch out for glueing them right  ;D
Greetings,
Benedikt
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 10:14:49 am »
How can you glue them together wrong, the splice only goes together one way? Do you have one with the back up and one with the belly up?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 10:17:59 am »
@PD:
I guess he has cutted in the splice on the wrong side.

Greetings,
Benedikt
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline arachnid

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:23:11 am »
I didn't aliened the billets properly. I noticed it only after the glue was dry...  :-\
It's the first time I'm working a stave so.... oops, my bad... ::)

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 10:30:44 am »
As long as you don't heat the splice joint, you should be able to heat correct the limbs. Alignment and twist are easily corrected.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:43:37 am »
Well then Id say your all set. Adam hit it, heat correct the limbs and leave that grip area intact and straight.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 07:34:39 pm »
  Agree with Adam, too.  Half the staves I work with look like that!

The splice looks so smooth, I almost can't see it on the back pic, looking down.  Unles the splice iteslf is off, i say go with what you have.

Do this.  Work down the limbs a bit on the sides to expose rings and get a nice flat surface.  Follow the twist, don't try to align limbs to the handle by carving off wood.  Use faceted wood removal techniques to thin the limb down to maybe 5/8" thick or so.  NOW, with enough clamps you can heat treat the whole thing to remove twist, or set yourself up a good one-limb-at-a-time steaming system and get your angle and twist corrections.

That lateral curve is the monster that taught me to ALWAYS restrain staves from saplings and branches.