Author Topic: board bows  (Read 6924 times)

Offline Mooseman78

Re: board bows
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 02:31:00 pm »
yes I was surprised at how much stiffer the self bows are its a mollegbet design and shoots awesome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 02:50:07 pm »
I just finished a hickory pyramid bow that pulls a nice 45# at my 26 inch draw. 

Like others have said, it's all about avoiding the grain run-outs ON ALL FOUR SIDES. If you are making something with a stiff narrowed handle, you will want to glue on a little builder-upper on the handle and fade out section, but 3/4 inches of hickory meat is more than enough to make a bow heavier than your shoulder (or mine for that matter) wants to pull!!!

If you live in a dry climate, the hickory will probably outperform the ash.  But both will suffer from humidity, hickory just hates to give back any moisture it sucks up from the environment, greedy stuff that it is!

Go for it! Post pics as you go!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 06:50:09 pm »
make the simple board bow first,, then try doing one with backing,,

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 07:49:53 pm »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 09:01:57 pm »
1/4 sawn works but check the edge grain. There must be no run outs. Thanks, Bubby. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowBreaker

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 02:30:06 am »
I have an Oak Table Top, 1" thick, made from 6, 1" x 6" and 1" x 4" quarter-sawn slabs or slices.....would this make any good bows? I only paid $15 dollars for this wood, and it is 66 inches long, by 24 inches wide. I am wondering if this would be good Bow wood? There is a woodworking shop in town that has a band saw and would cut it to any width needed....Thanks!

Offline eponym

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 10:02:44 am »
White or red oak? Both make good board bows but white is more resilient. If the grain is good then you'll be fine to make bows.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 10:43:17 am »
I love and prefer working on board bows.  I prefer quarter sawn.  I will NEED to be backed.  My favorite backing is bamboo but rawhide works well also.  Hickory works well also of course.  TB3 is great glue though I've been curious to try the Elmer's glue that says it is heat proof and water proof.

I currently use Uni-bond or Weldwood Plastic resin.

Offline bow101

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 01:34:57 pm »

Like others have said, it's all about avoiding the grain run-outs ON ALL FOUR SIDES. If you are making something with a stiff narrowed handle, you will want to glue on a little builder-upper on the handle and fade out section, but 3/4 inches of hickory meat is more than enough to make a bow heavier than your shoulder (or mine for that matter) wants to pull!!!

If you live in a dry climate, the hickory will probably outperform the ash.  But both will suffer from humidity, hickory just hates to give back any moisture it sucks up from the environment, greedy stuff that it is!

Do you have any pics... :D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Mooseman78

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 04:46:51 pm »
thanks for all the info, I will hopefully be starting soon have to fire up the wood stove lol

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 07:33:21 pm »

Do you have any pics... :D

Stained and first coat of polly-you're-insane put on it today.  Another coat of polly and a leather grip sewn up and she get's her own thread posted.  I generally don't post pics of my bows, but this one was for laughs and someone might get a chuckle out of it. 

Atta boy, Moosie!  Show that wood who's boss!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 04:44:20 am »
I love and prefer working on board bows.  I prefer quarter sawn.  I will NEED to be backed.  My favorite backing is bamboo but rawhide works well also.  Hickory works well also of course.  TB3 is great glue though I've been curious to try the Elmer's glue that says it is heat proof and water proof.

I currently use Uni-bond or Weldwood Plastic resin.

I use Elmer`s on al of my bows (thats what I got... :-\). Never had any prolems...

I HAVE made board bows with not-so-perfect grain on the sides. Seems to work if you limit yourselt to 1-2 runoffs... that is, of course, if you can`t find a prefect board.
Always look for the best board you can find.