Author Topic: Arrows for grey squirrels  (Read 5678 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Arrows for grey squirrels
« on: January 07, 2015, 04:33:08 pm »
I have killed lots of fox squirrels through the years,  but have trouble hitting greys with an arrow.  The bigger slower fox squirrel seams to be unable to get out of the way like his smaller cousin.  I have shot at lots of greys but have yet to connect.  I have killed all kinds of critters with a bow and it is frustrating to admit the trouble I have with hitting these little devils.   I had a conversation with a friend of mine who hunts squirrels with a sling shot.  He told me that his favorite slingshot ammo was a 3/8" ball bearing, but that he had to go down to a 1/4" ball bearing for grey squirrels because they had no trouble ducking the larger projectile.  He suggested that I go to a lighter faster arrow.  That started a big conversation among the selfbow shooters present.  The squirrels I have missed have been shot at with mostly 500 grain arrows from 45 -55lb bows.  I am wondering if I need to try and make some arrows specifically for squirrels that are lighter and faster.  If anyone has any suggestions on this topic, I am all ears.  I watched some videos of selfbow shooters on youtube and it looks like I am not the only one who has faced this situation.   :)   I am thinking that if I get the lightest fastest cane arrow that I can safely shoot that maybe my odds of connecting will go up.  I don't want to kill a squirrel once out of twenty shots - I want a combination that will work consistently.  The little suckers are fast.  I had one guy tell me that he tries to catch a grey squirrel gnawing on an acorn, sitting two feet from a tree before he shoots.  He told me that he aims at the tree and looses an arrow - squirrel spits the acorn and bolts for the tree and runs into the arrows path....  That is a ridiculous way to do business in my opinion!  There has to be a better way.  One of you real squirrel killers chime in and help me.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Arrows for grey squirrels
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 09:12:39 am »
Well I see from the lack of response that nobody else is stacking up squirrel meat with their selfbows.  ;D  I am going to make up some light fast arrows and experiment with this a little bit.  If anyone has a combination of arrow weight, length, draw weight, etc. that really  works well on bushytails please post it.  I know that they have no problem getting out of the way of my heavier deer hunting arrows.  My first move is going to be to drop down to about a 375 grain arrow out of a 45lb osage bow.  Getting deep penetration is not the issue for squirrels, but speed and accuracy is.  I am looking for the lightest arrow that I can still shoot accurately and safely out of this bow.  It takes more than one squirrel to make a meal for this man, so I am on a quest to take a limit of these little buggers with a selfbow.   More to follow....   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 03:59:59 pm »
We don't have grey squirrels here so I'm not sure what you're up against. Have you eliminated noise? String silencers? Maybe light flexible fletching that wouldn't sound like a hawk? You could apply some flight arrow methods to increase the speed of the arrow. You've probably tried all these.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 04:06:11 pm »
I think we are on the same track, but I haven't begun to change my set up for squirrels yet.  To tell the truth, I have shot at a few while deer hunting and have just begun to see what a real challenge they present.  I am thinking that lighter arrows and tiny fletching, like flight shooting arrows may be the ticket. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 05:08:49 pm »
From what I've seen it look's like the noise from the fletching makes them react first. Maybe inbred or learned from hawks and owls diving on them?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 05:42:35 pm »
I've been interested in getting some squirrels too.  I grazed one during small game season.  What kind of distance are you getting shots from?  I haven't noticed them dodging my arrows, but I always blame myself for not being able to get close enough.   Are you still hunting them or just stalking around through the woods?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 07:28:18 pm »
Maybe try sitting on the park bench beside the little old lady with the bag of peanuts >:D >:D >:D

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 09:34:44 am »
I have never shot any with a bow, but plenty with a air rifle. Maybe it is like shooting into water, you have to lead them just right. I need to get some more arrows made and get out and do some stump shooting.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 11:08:41 pm »
From what I've seen it look's like the noise from the fletching makes them react first. Maybe inbred or learned from hawks and owls diving on them?
I think that it is something like that Eddie.  I believe it is something deep in our game animals DNA to react to the sounds of a bow and arrow and anything swooshing through the air has to make them think "HAWK!".   I am going to get myself a real squirrel hunting set up and go after them seriously after deer season ends.  I have a real quiet shooting 45lb osage bow that I can hit with pretty well.  I shot some 350 grain cane arrows through it today and got pretty decent flight, and I am going to keep tinkering around with tiny fletchings and see if I can't find something that will work on them. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 11:18:56 pm »
I've been interested in getting some squirrels too.  I grazed one during small game season.  What kind of distance are you getting shots from?  I haven't noticed them dodging my arrows, but I always blame myself for not being able to get close enough.   Are you still hunting them or just stalking around through the woods?
Tim, they are a worthy adversary.  I try to limit my bow shots on squirrels to really close distances.  I won't even try a shot on one further than ten or twelve yards.  I watched some more youtube videos and it seems that they don't always react like they are on fire like they do around here.  Most of the kill shots I saw were made when the squirrel was sitting upright eating an acorn.   I honestly haven't gone a serious squirrel hunt with a bow yet, but I have shot at several while I have been on a deer stand - with my latest misses being at ranges of five to eight steps.... They can outmove a fox squirrel for sure.  I have taken lots of fox squirrels with a bow, but those little greys are something else.   I have always loved hunting them with a .22 rifle.  I mix it up - sitting on dry still days and walking when the leaves are wet. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 06:49:56 pm »
I've had better luck shooting up at them, then on the ground. I've knocked a few out of the trees shooting Flu Flu's, seemed a lot easier then shooting  them on the ground
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 07:53:04 pm »
I fletch my squirrel arrows with secondaries.They are much quieter than primaries and rarely does any squirrel "jump"out of the way.Sometimes I'll even do a little extra trimming to get them silent. JMHO  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 09:11:10 am »
Thanks for the tip PeteC.  I have some two fletch arrows that I used tail feathers on that seem to be real quiet.  I will give those a try. 

Mullet, I haven't shot at them high in the trees yet.  Maybe they don't move so quickly when they are hanging on as high up as they can get. ;)  I will give that a try too.  After deer season, I am going to turn lose the squirrel dog in a strip of woods that doesn't have too many tall trees and see if I can earn some dirty looks from a terrier. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi