Author Topic: Cherry stave cracking  (Read 4572 times)

Offline missilemaster

Re: Cherry stave cracking
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 09:15:05 pm »
Cherry is no good for bows.

What!?? Rubbish! Cherry will make a fine bow. I've made several, both board and stave. It does tend to chrysal if you're tiller is not spot on. Cherry has very low hysteresis, and if you can get a bow to survive, it will be one of the sweetest and fastest bows you'll ever shoot.

I have never heard of choke cherry being referred to as just cherry. I know chokecherry will make a bow, but wild and black cherry I wouldent invest my time in.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 03:35:55 am »
Now your on the right path. Grab that piece of osage and make the man a bow.You only get one chance to make a good impression on someone thats gonna shoot his first wood bow.
  My one and only experience with cherry was a blow up. I'm thinking smokin the fish is a good idea for cherry. I would'nt waste my time on marginal wood unless you are a bow making machine and trying to push the envelope. I know adb has made some but that is the exception and not the rule. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline chamookman

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 05:11:04 am »
My very first Self Bow was Black Cherry I cut on the Farm where I live. Still shoots, had a propeller twist that never totally came out and came in under weight (right around 40 lbs). Almost forgot, it was backed with Pin Cherry bark I harvested on the Farm also. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 12:06:46 pm »
I've wondered why few black cherry bows turn up on here, and now I guess I have an answer.  Tim Baker seems to really like it in TBB, but he does say it usually needs to be backed - is there perhaps a bit of a prejudice against a wood that needs a backing (and isn't as beautiful as ERC)?

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 12:51:21 pm »
Cherry is actually one of my favourite core laminations in tri-lam bows. I've used it in ELBs and flatbows. I currently have a tri-lam flatbow, maple backed, cherry core and osage belly. It's one of the sweetest and fastest tri-lam bows I've made. Besides yew, it's the best core wood I use.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 03:05:12 pm »
Yes, as a core wood I bet it rocks. Glass bower use it too. Just so long as it is sandwiched in between two stronger woods! :laugh: ;)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.