Author Topic: Takedown question  (Read 3122 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Takedown question
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:25:50 am »
For all of you that have made takedowns. I have done a fair amount of reading on them and come to these conclusions. No abrupt shoulder, fill most of the void in the sleeve with built up wood vs just epoxy. What else should I keep in mind?  What type of adhesive do you prefer?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Takedown question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:38:26 am »
Other tips I can think of...
Ensure the brass sleeve over the wood is not too tight an initial fit. Forcing the wood in can expand the brass, resulting in lots of time reducing outer surface of brass to fit the steel.
Epoxies: smooth-on MT-13 is great. I hear JB-weld works well too.
If final fit has any front to back pat at all, carefully indent the face of the steel sleeve with a steel punch. Of course, this is done while the take-down is together.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 07:26:27 pm »
here's a link to a how to Joe, pappys has all the pics deleted but this is a gooder too http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22735.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 08:19:04 pm »
I went and gave it a read. Thanks a bunch. Helped a lot.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 04:45:28 am »
+ 1 on what Carson said, it is a bear if you abuse the sleeves at all in any way from stretching them with the wood/tapping on them or clamping them in a vice, treat them very gentle. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 09:16:59 am »
I have made my own sleeve. In the future I may buy them depending on what I plan on making. We will see how this one works out. So fat the fit and alignment seem really good. I need to buy some more materials and get it finished up. Thanks again Pappy. Also, The cost of them at Carsons place is much better, if anyone in the future is looking.

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 10:55:24 am »
Also make absolutely 100% sure that your billets are dry.....don't ask how i know this one!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 01:43:21 pm »
My only suggestion is to spend the $15 on MT13 epoxy and not compromise.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 02:55:25 pm »
Thanks for that Chris, that is the info I am looking for.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 03:55:53 pm »
what are you doing for a collar?  did you find some bone that will work?

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 12:16:13 pm »
I think bone will work, although the bone I got from Rich checked after I cut it :o . The first piece was really perfect in size and length. It had a crack in it to begin with, but after about an hour it developed andther parallel to the first. The second section would have been a bit large for a handle, but would have had a built in shelf. It too developed cracks within a few hours, and would have been too large to do a wrap on to strengthen the sleeve. I decided to go with 1" id copper. I put it in a vice and flattened one side making a D shape. I shaped the ends to just smaller than the sleeve and wrapped the ends with denim and then saturated the denim with TBII, and then wrapped them with inner tube to dry. I sanded the end that would be the fixed end to fit properly into the sleeve, and epoxied it into place(after roughing the inside of the copper with a file). I let it cure for 24 hours and then stressed the joint, both with twisting and bending the limb as if the bow were being drawn. For now it seems to be holding fast. Next I will get the removable end fitted end shaped to within a few hundredths and then add a denim/epoxy resin micarta handle buildup for the handle and shelf. I can see a lot of sanding in my future. I need to go pick up some different color denim to finish the handle. I am thinking of black, tan and green for a camp effect. I know the copper alone won't be strong enough to support the stress, that is why I am going with a larger riser type handle with the micarta. Any thoughts?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 01:35:48 pm »
pixs!