Author Topic: Trying another osage sapwood sapling - how's the tiller so far?  (Read 3138 times)

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
Trying another osage sapwood sapling - how's the tiller so far?
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:08:08 pm »
My last attempt with a sapling didn't make a bow - turns out there was too much insect damage - http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50021.0.html

This short piece had no insect damage so I decided to try again with a short bending handle bow.  I need a few bows for a summer camp we do at our local preserve with middle school kids - so I would like to get it out to around 25" and no more than upper 30's to 40#.

Pics show a front profile and unbraced side profile.  The pic on the tree (at a 4" brace) is pulling to around 16-17" and is just over 30 pounds.  It is 50" ntn and 1 3/8" wide most of the limb until it tapers to 1/2" at tip.  The right limb has a gradual reflex out of the handle to the tip.  The left limb is straight out of the handle with a natural flip to the last 5 inches or so.  Because of the difference in the unbraced limb profile the limbs do not look the same while being drawn.

Any advice before I continue on?  Thanks!

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline bow101

Re: Trying another osage sapwood sapling - how's the tiller so far?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 08:39:26 pm »
Tip on the left is stiff...other than that get 'em bending more mid-limb. 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Roy

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:45:48 pm »
I guess it's ok:)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:20:48 pm »
Looks good. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 10:45:54 pm »
when this one starts to take some set,, stop there and let the bow dictate the draw length,, :)

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 12:00:35 am »
when this one starts to take some set,, stop there and let the bow dictate the draw length,, :)

good advice - thanks.  I think I will gradually try to increase draw length - do you think it should bend more in the handle?  I have not completed a real bend through the handle bow yet.  I get scared scraping too much there!  :-\
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 12:33:16 am »
I don't think so? I'm not a bend in the handle type guy but when I do I prefer them to bend when dictated and that would be at close to full draw. Then it's a sweet feeling and you know it's right.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 03:28:43 am »
Don't touch the handle yet. For now mid to outers need to be bending more. Left mid to tip is stiffest.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 05:44:05 am »
Looks good to me. The left tip has abrupt reflex, Id expect it to look differently.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 09:01:00 am »
I agree with Pearly boy.. The left limb is not going to bend as much as the right limb because it has a natural reflex, way more than the right limb tip does.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 09:26:39 am »
+1 PD and Roy.  I wouldn't touch the handle yet at all either.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 09:40:31 am »
That is what I was thinking with the left tip - if you look at it close, you can tell that it is pretty thin right at the beginning of the reflex tip.  I am afraid if I take wood off of there it is going to all of the sudden hinge - I am a little worried that as I increase draw length it may start hinging there anyway!

Thanks for the help.  At what point does a guy start in on the handle area?  When you are getting close to your intended draw length?
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 10:00:10 am »
I would not ever touch the handle area. Too much bend there and she'll kick like a mule. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 10:20:35 am »
I'd have said left mid limb. Tip looks to be moving ok from it's initial reflex...
Mind if left is lower limb it may be ok as is
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 02:28:58 pm »
That much bend in the handle reminds me one of my few bend-in-handle bows that, as Jawge says, kicked like a mule.   I'd fling a few arrows at whatever draw lenght you have it worked into to assess the handshock and scrape on the mid limbs as Del says (maybe side tillering if knots permit?)  to get more draw lenght and reduce the handshock.   

I'd definitely stay away from the outer left end area you noted as being thin- it's bending pretty good to my eyes per the attached.  Thinning in mid limb would reduce the strain there.

c.d.