Author Topic: Yew static (No. 63)  (Read 6138 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Re: Yew static (No. 63)
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 05:26:00 pm »
As always, just awesome!! Love seeing your work sir.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 09:36:42 pm »
Very well done!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 12:18:28 am »
I never tire of looking at your bows for inspiration

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 08:13:36 am »
Really like this bow! Great looking handle and stitch pattern. I especially like the underlays with the string groove. Your bows are very inspiring!

Offline rps3

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 09:01:06 am »
I have read plenty about how yew will tolerate a grain violation on the back, and I see it looks like it was violated on yours. Is it in a significantly bending part of the limb?

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 09:08:50 am »
I have read plenty about how yew will tolerate a grain violation on the back, and I see it looks like it was violated on yours. Is it in a significantly bending part of the limb?

No, it isn't.
What you see are two extra rings situated on the non bending parts. One going from fade to fade and two on each lever (hard to see in the pics).
The back is one single ring carefully worked down on the bending part of the limb.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 02:38:49 pm »

That has very classic look to me. I love it. I bet it performs quite nicely. Very unique stitching pattern. Masterfully crafted.

Have you tried heat treating coarse grain yew? I find a good shellacking and tempering gives it qualities of denser yew.

Yeah, I have tried that - not on that stick but on a small splinter of yew. Got an increase of weight of about 10#. I think taht bow is still in my possession, will try to find and post. It is a nice simple stick.
Do you really first shellack the wood and then applying heat? No problems with shellack burning?
[/quote]

I almost always shellac the belly as well as the back before heat-treating or even heat adjusting. I have had no problems with shellac burning. I apply an oil, such as bear or pig fat over the shellac when thoroughly heat tempering. The oil helps to keep the surface from scorching while allowing the heat to really drive in. The shellac fills the empty spaces in the less dense woods and plasticizes at about 450 degrees F.  In the US, you can buy premixed liquid shellac or even aerosol shellac, which is not a high quality shellac product. I use pure, fresh, dewaxed shellac flakes that I dissolve in pure 180 proof alcohol.

Love looking at this bow again. Simply perfect.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline simson

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 03:11:37 pm »
Carson, thanks for that precise description. I have shellack at home and I will try this procedure on one of the next bows for sure.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany