Author Topic: Tip overlay failure  (Read 7617 times)

Offline adb

Re: Tip overlay failure
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 11:35:53 am »
Hey, Dana
I hear yah on the "someone else pulling your bow" problem. I made a bow for my Dad on Father's day a couple years back. He was not very tall, and his draw length was only 22". I made him a 40# @ 22" hickory selfbow, and some knucklehead, without asking, gave it a big yank, and Ka-Boom. He thought the bow was faulty. I wanted to flatten his nose.

Hey, Yankee
Dang it!! A lot of work went into that!! Live & learn.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:44:37 am by adb3112 »

Offline snedeker

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 01:02:21 pm »
Never say die.  You have a lot of wood left on that piece.  Ipe will perform at 59" long for a 27" draw.  I'd epoxy, glue, or super glue the piece back onto the belly.  Cut about 4" off the broken end and 2" off the other.  With that much piking, you'll have to thin it a lot anyway to get it down to manageable draw weight.  Put the tip overlays ON TOP of the backing or at least make an angled transition.  It will be easy, fun, and informative.

Dave

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 01:46:31 pm »
Yes, I know now about tip overlays!! No, I think the bow will be more useful sitting in the corner, as a reminder of what not to do.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 03:57:53 pm »
.Blunders ! Hows about sinewin' the belly of the bow. Three courses over a months period. Then sayin' "hey this aint the back its the belly !" >:( :'( Thats when I "frigured " out I had ta wear my glasses and STOP drinkin' "firewater " when I do this ! Good mind huh ? DUH ! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.........bob

Offline bonater

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 04:16:08 pm »
I like these kind of discussions.  I have been watching this message board for awhile, and it comforts me to see that I am not the only one who blows up bows that I have been working on for weeks!  If you learn more from your mistakes than your successes, I must be approaching genius level.   

Offline snedeker

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 04:21:56 pm »
One of my most confounding ones was when I glued the handle on an in-progress lam way WAY off center.  Was chatting with neighborhood kids and not paying attention.  Didn't notice until after I had shaped out handle area.  Talk about asymetrical.

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 04:54:08 pm »
Hey, we all like to show off our sucesses, not the failures! But, it's the failures which enlighten us.

Hey, Bob... sinewing the belly, over a months work, would truly SUCK!!