Author Topic: PaulSemp's Selfbow Starter Kit  (Read 5688 times)

mikekeswick

Re: PaulSemp's Selfbow Starter Kit
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 02:12:17 am »
And remember the golden rule of NEVER pulling it further than necessary to spot a problem. Don't pull it more than say 10 inches on the long string until the bottom limb is bending. Put pencil marks over the weak area so that you don't inadvertently remove wood there. Also try heat straightening it a bit more seeing as it's sage.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 03:19:17 am »
It shoots...
and you'll learn from this one crooked piece than from easy peasy ramrod straight laminated stave bought off the interweb....
Even if it's only persistence >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 06:35:10 am »
I'm guessing it had a tiny bit of moisture to lose causing the lower to stiffen up?  ??? up

It sure didn't look like that sat?  ???  ???

Post a front profile pic so folks stop taking stabs in the dark about it. The even thickness taper rule pretty much goes out the window on a stick like that where it weaves in and out from wider to narrower to wider again etc....just concentrate on the bend

Offline bowmo

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 12:36:14 pm »
Whooo boy that tiller changed on ya. That lower limb DEF was coming around way more when I saw it last. Clinging to that reflex like a champ tho.

"Paul was kind enough.." hahahaha  ::)

JacksonCash

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 02:21:37 pm »
I'm guessing it had a tiny bit of moisture to lose causing the lower to stiffen up?  ??? up

It sure didn't look like that sat?  ???  ???

Post a front profile pic so folks stop taking stabs in the dark about it. The even thickness taper rule pretty much goes out the window on a stick like that where it weaves in and out from wider to narrower to wider again etc....just concentrate on the bend

The moisture loss is a good thought, Saturday was the day we steamed it a couple times, so it may have been a bit softer due to that... I'll get a front profile pic posted a bit later today. Running late for work!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 02:36:30 pm »
Nah, operator error. None of the other 11 bows made had a problem, damn rookies anyway! :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

JacksonCash

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 04:50:00 pm »
Here's the front profile:

Top limb:

Bottom limb:

Where it is narrow on the top limb is NOT where it's bending too much, it is the wider area below the knot, due to it being thinner. I think I left my narrow spots just a bit too thick, overcompensating for the narrowness.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 07:26:11 pm »
JacksonCash,
I saw that stave in person before you started on it.  and for your first stave bow, I was very impressed that you got a ring chased on that thing as quickly as you did.  I'd be real proud if my first bow looked like that.  and you did have a hockey stick to start with.

Good job,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bowmo

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 01:25:50 pm »
Yep...those look like 130 year old floors. Nice lookin' wood in that house.

...Bow looks good too  ::)

JacksonCash

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 02:42:46 pm »
Close, 105. It does have some really nice woodwork in it.