Author Topic: What I have been up to...and a question  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Stefan

What I have been up to...and a question
« on: June 01, 2015, 04:12:29 am »
Hi all,

Lately I haven't had much time for making bows, I did make a crossbow limb for a friend, he made the stock himself and in return for the limb he gave my a nice stainless rolling nut for a future project. Pictures below...(in the first pic the tiller was off but I correct that)

Recently a laminated flatbow of mine which I let somebody else shoot with, exploded, I'm not sure what caused this breakage but I think I will just have to move on and build another one.

I bought some new hickory and bamboo to use with massaranduba. Now I want to make a caul to glue in reflex/deflex. I will use old bicycle tires to clamp the bow. I have heard that when gluing bamboo (backing) you should have the belly wood against the caul/form because of the nodes. Is that correct?

Do you guys have pictures and measurement of a caul/form that you use for gluing reflex and deflex?

Greetings Stefan

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:31:33 am by Stefan »
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Stefan

Re: What I have been up to...and a question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:28:02 am »
Anyone?

I found, some info on the web which suggest twice as much reflex as deflex. Is that a good starting point?

Lets say 1.5 inch deflex/3 inch reflex or 2 inch deflex and 4 inch reflex for a wood composit bow?

Greeting,

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 10:51:16 am »
  It's hard to build a wooden bow (cross bow) from messuremtns. Even boards are different.    Even then bowyers  build bows a little different. So for someone to tell you with out personall,seeing, holding the bow. Is hard to point you on.

It's just something you have to know and do from exsperance.

I'm sure you here lots of messurments, You'll here from a lot of experts ,remember they all build bows a little differently and but hopefull someone might help you.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 12:08:35 pm »
Roy on here thats all he builds, search his posts and i think he did a build a long, i know he did one on trad gang
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹