Author Topic: First Osage  (Read 3026 times)

Offline HighEagle

First Osage
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:05:23 pm »
My first Osage bow,

Still have not finished this bow but have been shooting it since the end of March. I came across the Osage "4 staves" from my neighbor who only lived a 1/4 mile away, we would just say hay, other small talk when he passed by the place walking his dog. He was a stay at home kind of guy. All of a sudden his place was up for sale, the next time I saw him I asked whats up he said he was taking his tools and bows and moving to Baja. BOWS what kind of bows? for some reason I first thought fiddle bows he said no Archery "Osage bows" I was choked! for a year and a half I have been living by a bowyer who's been in primitive archery for 25-30 years  and had a wack of self bows he had made. So in the next week we got together a couple times flung some arrows..  He still had a stack of staves he had not packed up yet, Beautiful they were straight grained no twist  seasoned for over twenty years they would ring like tone wood when you gave'em a knock. He rummaged  thru the stave pail and gave 4 not his best for sure but they looked good to me.

I found this little bow  54" ntn 48#@27"  in one of the gnarly staves I got. It took me awhile to figure out the grain, by pass some ugly knots and deep surface checks. It started out a little longer but keep getting shorter when running into cracks that looked to big to fix with glue

[/URL]

[imghttp://][/img]

The FD Pic wont show up it might when I post. I do have a few questions

1 my tiller
2 heat treat?
3 sinew back?
4 or leave it? 

The bow shoots fine fun Osage is definitely nice bow wood, I like the wisp sound when the arrow comes off the string, its snippy

Will thanks for looking, Stay cool my friends, Chuck

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:10:50 am by HighEagle »
Armstrong, BC

Offline Badly Bent

Re: First Osage
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:48:15 pm »
Haven't seen the full draw yet but from the pics you've posted so far I would say don't change a thing.
That looks like darn nice bow Chuck. Good story too, funny that you two were neighbors and didn't know
that you had this shared interest. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 11:11:43 pm »
Nice! So short for a still handle and goes to 27!

I agree...just leave it be.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 01:54:48 am »
Killer bow and Killer story. I agree, the bow is good as it is. Baja? Is he going to bowfish? I have always wanted to roadtrip to baja for bowfishing but havent been able to find any info on bowfishing Baja.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 03:03:21 am »
Thanks Guys,
  Think I will just leave it. Find a nice little Diamond back, tru-oil, tip overlay and handle wrap. Took it to a 3D today it we did alright, not any primitive shooters here so did the course by myself a good day was smoking hot here 100+, got some good visiting back at the clubhouse and on the practice course.

So lit me try this FD pic again. And how do I edit my post? anyone
[/URL][/img]

So I think it loaded. In this FD pic its short drawed by 1 inch. How does the tiller look now?, shoots smooth no hand shock for once.

Thanks , Chuck 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:07:44 am by HighEagle »
Armstrong, BC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:35:36 am »
Great story.
Top limb looks to be bending a little too much on the inner 1/3.
Del
Top right of your post are 3 buttons/tabs/whateveryoucall'em
'Quote'   'Modify'  &  'Remove'
Middle one is 'Modify'... click on that.
Only your posts will have modify and remove.
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:17:23 am »
What Del said on the top limb, but for your first Osage [and it will probably handle it] :-\ it looks good. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:05:58 pm »
I keep looking at the FD pic and its really starting to bug me . So do I just give it a few more scrapes towards the tips? or a bit off the profile? Pappy said it will probably handle it the way it is Would be good at leaving as is to, Thanks Chuck     
Armstrong, BC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 01:30:11 pm »
I don't think your too far off Chuck. Enjoy that new yellow bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jimjimmysticks

• practice keeps me calm in the game
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 08:40:47 pm »
nice little bow shoots smooth with nice snap to it,shoots where he  points feels nice just held it my shelf,chucks got some nice bows hope he list some more down the road >: