Author Topic: Otzi quiver & Hunting?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline punch

Otzi quiver & Hunting?
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:55:03 pm »
Has anyone used a otzi style quiver before?  How do you like it?  Has anyone ever used one to hunt with (besides Otzi)?  Any problems using it?  I am in the market for a new quiver and I am a bit interested in it.  So far I have used a plains style, back quiver, side stalker, hip quiver, and bow quiver.  Looking to try something new but it has to be practical and functional.  I would be making it of course.

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Otzi quiver & Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:15:58 pm »
I have looked and read a good bit on Otzis gear. It is a fascinating study for me. Other than being an animal skin hide I do not know it has been shown exactly how it was used. He had some cordage that was speculated to have been used on the quiver and that it was simply put through a belt with no strap. I am not sure if anyone knows.
I would speculate that his bow was not finished and possibly two arrows with feathers, then there is no reason to have a strap and carry the arrows at ready. So it may have been tied or kept under a belt when not in expected use.
If you have some other thoughts or knowledge I would really like to know. Would love to be able to actually view his gear in person...
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline punch

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:57:44 pm »
I saw a youtube video from Australia that a guy was recreating Otzi's gear. He had a stiffener stick and a over the shoulder strap on the quiver.  That is what I was referring to.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:12:59 pm »
Somebody else made an Otzi quiver and he used felt.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,52550.0.html