Author Topic: Bighorn sheep horn?  (Read 4453 times)

Offline High-Desert

Bighorn sheep horn?
« on: April 12, 2016, 01:14:23 pm »
I am looking to try a Native American styke horn bow from bighorn sheep horn, but I am not sure where to aquire a set, and how much they wood cost me. I have elk antler that I could try, but I haven't heard a lot of good things about antler. Does anyone know where to get bighorn sheep horn, or do I have to wait till one day I draw the tag, which is once in a lifetime here in Oregon. If not, it looks like I'm giving the antler a shot.

Eric
Eric

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Bighorn sheep horn?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:52:12 pm »
They are not cheap. Expect to pay 300-500 for a good set. I've gotten 3 sets from my local Craigslist, and one set in a trade with a member on here.
Make sure you inspect them before you buy them. If they weren't treated well it will be more obvious in person than photos. Also make sure that if they are pinned, the pin is not right in the centre ruining the horn for a hornbow.
If I found some nice elk or caribou antlers I would for sure try one. There's some nice examples in the encyclopedia of bows and arrows, but I'm not sure how antler or bone measures up to bighorn.

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 03:21:15 pm »
How about water buffalo horn? ...   :o Or ibex?? (used for scythian bows..)
Good luck with the antler

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 04:43:09 pm »
Those would work, but if you've ever worked bighorn and water buffalo, the first thing you'll will notice is how much thicker the bighorn is. Keep searching. You will find a set eventually. Call taxidermists, I've seen some sets in antique/second hand stores too

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 06:17:31 pm »
Great! I will give the antler a try. I've seen the water buffalo horn for sale, but I am trying to replicate Native American bows, and I like to stick as authentic as possible. Thanks for everyone's help.

Eric
Eric