Author Topic: moisture content and hickory  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Aries

moisture content and hickory
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:29:33 am »
I am used to working with osage so I usually don't stress much about mc after the bow is properly cured, what I am worried about are the 3 hickory long flat bows I am working on with some Newby bowyers in training. I have had the hickory staves split and driving for 6-8 months and over the last month they have had the bark off, they have now been in my hot box at 90 degrees after being worked down to rough dimensions.
I have a prong style moisture content reader but I have had a hard time getting measurements with it. Any other tips on determining moisture content?
Any tips for finishing and storing these bows to help keep them in good shooting condition.
I appreciate the help guys
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: moisture content and hickory
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:35:21 am »
You live in a relatively dry area(maybe not lately) and hickory loves dry! 5% to 6% is ideal. When the weather is wet, don't stress the bow or stave. You can work it down to floor tiller now and if storing in a hot box you shouldn't have to worry about the M/C at all. When you finish working on it put it back in the hot box until next session. Once winter gets here the M/C generally drops so no worries there.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 11:16:00 am »
Get a kitchen scale and measure the weight. When it doesn't drop weight for at least a week it should be good.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:02:14 pm »
I'd bet dollars to donuts those staves are ready to rock. A 90 degree hot box is the ticket. Hickory loses it almost as quickly as it gains it, in the raw.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 07:12:20 pm »
Aries, in addition to using my hot box, I also use a hygrometer to monitor the humidity in the hot box.  You can get a hygrometer/thermometer from Lowes or Home Depot for about $10.00.  Also download a Wood Equilibrium Moisture Content Table and tape it to your hotbox.  The chart will tell you the MC of the wood at a particular temperature and humidity level.  Sometimes, I have to add trays of water so the wood doesn't get too dry.  A kitchen scale like wizardgoat suggested will tell you when the MC equalizes at a specific temperature and humidity level.  It all works together to give you good accurate information when working with hickory.

Hope this is helpful.  Works well for me.
Drew - Boone, NC