Author Topic: My first bow (Juniper)  (Read 8914 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: My first bow (Juniper)
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 10:00:02 pm »
Nice work. Juniper was one of the first woods I worked with too and to this day makes my favorite bow with sinew.

Offline MXer

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 11:01:31 pm »
I got a bunch of sinew this year.  My dad's deer, brother's deer, and a friends antelope.  I'm using the rawhide now because I don't want to waste the sinew on a sub par bow.  I need to get better.  I'm also still a little unsure of how to use it.  I'm guessing using hide glue with would be the best way.

I kind of want to try a hickory board bow next. 

Hey Bryce, I have 2 more in the garage with wax on the ends because I couldn't get to it right away.  It doesn't seem to be checking but I don't know yet until I get the bark stripped.  I may have screwed up by cutting them and not gettin to it right away like this one.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 11:07:40 pm »
sinew backing a normal wood bow is not rocket science. Your hide glue can be too thick or too thin and it will still work. Any book or link on how to should work your first time

Offline MXer

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 11:24:04 pm »
what kind of draw weight and length are you getting?  I was shooting for 40# @26-28 in.  Ended up way shorter and underweight too!

I was curious to know what your dimensions are.

This one is 54" at the nocks and like I stated earlier around 25 lbs. @ 22in.    There's plenty of staves out here in Idaho.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 06:07:02 am »
I think That's great for your first bow- you'll make many more I'm sure!  :)
I used short staves on my first few and kept coming in underweight. Then I made some 68" and over and got my first 40+# bows. I find it much easier to strong bows from long staves. I still keep making mistakes though!  ::)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 08:13:43 am »
Congratulations on your first bow! I also went too short on my first bow (for a beginner) and ended up under weight in trying to get it to decent tiller. Your bow looks like you are a very good woodworker, and I'm sure it was fascinating to shape a piece of raw timber into a bow. I'm sure this won't be your first! Great pictures, too.  :)
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 08:47:12 am »
Congratulations on your first bow. It looks better than mine :laugh:
Also welcome to the addiction.

Dave
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 09:50:01 am »
MXer, I'd call that an outstanding first effort. You should be proud of your work.

8)

Offline MXer

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 11:10:41 pm »
I appreciate the feedback on the bow and kind words about it.  ...and you're right... I'll build more.  It's sort of sparked a passion and I can't wait to get started on another.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 12:04:47 pm »
Good looking first bow.

Offline MXer

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2015, 11:18:54 pm »
Just a thought.  If I shortened it what would happen?  Would the draw weight increase at the same draw length?  Would tiller remain the same?  Just curious questions.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 12:55:15 am »
That one turned out okay. Don't try to make it what you want. The wood has decided what to be. Put that in the rack and move on to the next one and see what happens. BTW build a rack you're gonna need it.

Piking or shortening will increase draw weight, but it has it's limitations. You can always come back after a few more bows and try it. I recommend starting fresh and learning to listen to the wood. Keep and eye on cutting those arrow shelves in. I broke a few nice pieces of wood before I gave up on cut outs.

Congrats, my first when snap, so did the next couple for that matter. Say good bye to friends, family, and free time. Let me know if you need the number for bowyer's anonymous.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline loon

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2015, 01:13:02 am »
Nice bow. I hope my first wood bow turns nearly that well
Keep and eye on cutting those arrow shelves in. I broke a few nice pieces of wood before I gave up on cut outs.
This. As a very mediocre archer, arrow shelves are way overrated IMO, but I guess it is preference. However, as long as it doesn't break, you have a more center shot bow now.
If you shortened it, it'd be put under more stress... more chance of breakage. Just don't overstress it.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2015, 09:39:25 am »
Great first bow.Better than mine too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2015, 01:02:14 pm »
Very nice first effort. Better than my first bow.
Very nice clean piece of Juniper. How long was the wood seasoned? Green wood will give up reflex much more so than seasoned wood.
IN the shorter ow lengths you need the bow to bend through the handle and or have recurved tips to get the longer draw out of them.  A longer bow is going to be much easier for you to hit your target weight.
Welcome to the addiction!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso