Author Topic: Steaming ERC twist  (Read 2992 times)

Offline SeanStuart

Steaming ERC twist
« on: December 05, 2015, 12:39:47 pm »
Hey, I have this twisted piece of ERC that is beautiful. It is 72 inches long, and I just roughed it out into a bow-like shape. The twist is about 90 deg through the full length.

I have read differing opinions online about whether it can be straightened by steaming. What do you think, can I steam the twist out of this? Is it going to come right back after it dries?

Thanks!

Offline DC

Re: Steaming ERC twist
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 12:46:23 pm »
I've never worked ERC so take that into consideration. I've had really good success steaming twist out of  any wood. I've had reflex pull out some but any twist I've removed has stayed removed

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 12:51:29 pm »
Is the twist isolated in spots are pretty consistent throughout the length. I have had mixed results on twist. After seeing that method of steaming where clear plastic was used and the steaming contiued durring the bending process I think 90 degrees would be very doable

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 01:23:27 pm »
It is twisted quite a bit more on one limb than the other. I like the idea of a clear box large enough for a form to clamp the stave to. Back to google!

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 01:26:38 pm »
Steam it in a plastic bag. It works very well. You can twist it while it's still steaming. You do need a steam generator with a hose on it though.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 02:06:18 pm »
I personally haven't had the greatest luck with heat bending junipers.
When it's green it's much easier. Try thw localized steam method, it's probably your best shot

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 02:42:13 pm »
Steam it in a plastic bag. It works very well. You can twist it while it's still steaming. You do need a steam generator with a hose on it though.

Good idea. I can use the food saver rolled bag.

I was thinking of using the turkey fryer with some sort of lid and pipe. Do you think that will provide enough steam?

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 02:43:59 pm »
I personally haven't had the greatest luck with heat bending junipers.
When it's green it's much easier. Try thw localized steam method, it's probably your best shot

Does it not bend easily, or what has your result been? I have never bent wood with steam or dry heat, so any thoughts are welcome.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 02:53:31 pm »
The less seasoned the easier it'll bend. I've tried steam and dry heat, only for flipping tips though.
Was just a little stubborn to bend, and didn't hold as much as I'm used to with yew

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 03:32:41 pm »

Good idea. I can use the food saver rolled bag.

I was thinking of using the turkey fryer with some sort of lid and pipe. Do you think that will provide enough steam?

It really doesn't take much steam. Make sure you have a thermometer so you can test the temp. I'm a sea level and mine gets to 210 degrees. There is a lot of condensation when using a plastic bag so you need drainage. Wear gloves!

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 10:05:02 pm »
I soaked it overnight. This makes sense. The humidity is pretty low in the garage.

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 08:17:48 pm »
It seemed to work just fine. How long do I have to keep it clamped? It is cool now. Should I leave it clamped a few days while it dries?

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 10:39:01 pm »
I usually leave it overnight.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 01:52:45 pm »
It's kind of the Village of Pinehurst to supply you with perfect chest height wood working stands!  I have a similar pair I've often used supplied by 'Republic Refuse and Waste'.

With dry heat, once it is cool, you're done.  I often go just a bit beyond that point because I'm otherwise busy or nervous about my work.  With wet heat, I find that it makes sense to leave it in the forms/clamps until the wood can dry out a bit, so, at least over night, ...but I have left it as long a week to be double certain. ;)  ...and I put a fan on it as well to make sure that I move the air around over the wood while it recovers to stable moisture content.

How did the Turkey fryer do as a steam generator?  It looks like a good setup from here. 

OneBow