Author Topic: Bow designs  (Read 5214 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Bow designs
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 12:25:29 pm »
"Show us your different bow designs. I just build pretty much the same one most of the time. Cause it seams to work well enough."

Completely different for me, and I can't explain why.  I NEVER make the same bow twice in a row, and ALMOST never make the same bow at all.  There is always something, some little thing or process that's different.  What if this?  Can I try that?   "How come nobody ever does this?"  Snap!  "Oh, THAT'S why!"

I have the BEST success with mollies and medium-long flatbows, with slightly flipped tips.

I know just what you are talking about, I do about 50/50 mix of tried ad true designs vs experimental stuff. The one thing that I think we have accomplished as a group is that we have collectively aquired enough fundamental knowledge about the theories behind building bows that we no longer have to approach a new design blindly. We have a pretty good idea going in on what we will have to do to pull it off. An extreme example of this would be the giant bow shaped like a "C" that I had to build for the DaVinci series on TV. 20 years ago I would not have even attempted it. Now I was able to pretty much lay it out and nail it on the first shot. I always look forward to hearing, seing or even discovering new things in bow building. They are becomming fewer and further between!