Author Topic: Looking for a bow  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Lumberman

Looking for a bow
« on: December 23, 2015, 01:19:14 pm »
I have been wanting to get a longbow for a couple years and it looks like 2016 will be the year I Get to do so. I have access to a lot of the hardwoods local here to southeast iowa and would be up for offering a decent amount of footage for a bow. I don't know enough yet to be real particular about the bow, would like something around #50+. Also I would really rather trade with someone within a few hour drive rather than ship walnut, oak, or hickory only to have it be shipped back or something or other. Started visiting this site trying to learn how to spine my arrows and have been super impressed by the attitudes and interactions of the members. Have been bow hunting deer since I was 11, not ate up with trophy hunting and want to expand to the more natural feel of the longbow. I know it'll expand to selfbow but I need to tackle it a step at a time.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Looking for a bow
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 05:32:19 pm »
Well, first off, you gotta connect up with iowabow in Burlington.  He hosts an event at his place almost every spring, and now that he us building the open air crafting shed, he'll have a great place to work on bows almost year round.  Warning: he will prolly try to turn you to the dark side and tempt you with flint knapping.  Don't do it, it is even more addictive than making wood shavings.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 05:52:39 pm »
You may not be ate up with trophy hunting, but anything you can get with natural tackle is a trophy 😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:45:05 am »
Burlington is only 30 min away I will have to try to get a hold of him. Haha, no flint knapping, I'll keep that in mind! I agree bubby I suppose trophy is a rather relative term. Maybe I am a trophy hunter... I feel an identity crisis coming on

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 11:58:07 am »
Burlington is only 30 min away I will have to try to get a hold of him. Haha, no flint knapping, I'll keep that in mind! I agree bubby I suppose trophy is a rather relative term. Maybe I am a trophy hunter... I feel an identity crisis coming on

When you kneel down next to any deer you have taken with equipment you have made yourself, of even have been gifted from someone you hold in high regard, it will glow with an otherworldly light and you will know it is a trophy.  It will, in all likelihood, not look like a trophy to someone that has not been initiated into this increasingly rare brother/sisterhood.  But feel free to post the photos here and see how many of us "get it", too.

Congratulations for stepping off the paved, tamed, developed, insulated, dramatically lighted, all for show and nothing for substance path and onto the natural earth.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 07:44:19 pm »
I will do that if I get one using primitive weaponry; well my life attests that I agree we need to be on a more natural path. "All for show and nothing for substance", so very true, for we brought nothing into this life and will take nothing out, the illusion of control and ownership can easily expand and loom too large!. "Dramatically lighted", some people really don't realize their innate need to step away from the concrete, asphalt, linoleum,and fluorescent-ly lit surroundings of their life!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 07:55:56 pm »
Then let me also steer you towards searching out videos on Youtube under Gill's Primitive Archery.  Ryan is a regular contributor here and has a simple elegance in how he presents the life skills of primitive archery and various related talends. 

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 08:05:10 pm »
I will check it out, thanks!