Author Topic: Sawing nocks abo style  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Jodocus

Sawing nocks abo style
« on: January 21, 2016, 09:53:13 am »
Hi all,

I'm still searching a good way to cut the nocks without metal tools. So far I've tried smooth and serrated flint edges, a saw made from bone and coarse stone "rasps", but found none of it really convincing. Mostly splits the shaft.
I've had better results burning in the nock with a string I run back and forth, but making a string (it will be consumed) myself is quite a bit of work for a simple nock.

Any experience?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:18:33 pm by Jodocus »
Don't shoot!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sawing nocks abo style
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 11:35:01 am »
I've done it with a flint "saw blade". You just have to go slow and steady.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 11:38:18 am »
Jodocus, I have tried sawing with stone across the end . it did work but dulls the stone fast. I have been using a sharp flake and make my cuts length ways on the shaft, drawing the flake over the shaft and off the end the length of my knock. I will then roll the shaft and do the same from the other side, it cuts the wood out pretty easy, it don't wear down the stone as fast as sawing. all of this done of wood, i have never tried it on cane or boo, Good Luck! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

riverrat

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 06:21:30 pm »
i use flint with serrations down the side. i also like using shell that i serrate down the edge. works great but periodically needs reserrated. also i broke up some sand stone cobbles i found a while back. they are all different sized pieces and chunks and grits. work great as a file.Tony

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 06:59:21 pm »
Jodocus, not sure what type shaft material you are using so this may  not work for you. I watched a friend of mine do this with a steel knife but a flint flake should work just as well. leave your shaft a little long then cut a slight notch on opposite sides of shaft, not to deep and at the top of nock then cut slight notch on opposite sides of first notch and at the bottom of nock, then snap each one opposite ways and work out a pc that would look like a tongue and groove joint  C--        I don't  know how to draw pics on a computer so this is probably as clear as mud.  Let's try a visual first make a elongated C with left hand thumb and pointer finger now place right hand pointer finger in the elongated C and rock back and forth. Yep still clear as mud :o Bob
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:05:15 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline loon

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 09:22:19 pm »
Make bulbous nocks with something like bush clover or holly? Or hickory.. if not making self nocks?
Maybe wrap below where the nock will be before doing anything to help prevent splitting (in my experience with bamboo, this REALLY helps. not sure about wood but it should help too)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:35:23 pm by loon »

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 12:56:59 am »
thanks guys, I'll try your Suggestions
Don't shoot!