Author Topic: yew short bow crack  (Read 2334 times)

Offline sapling bowyer

yew short bow crack
« on: January 19, 2016, 11:14:27 am »
While I was working on my yew short bow which is 48 inches made from a small sapling, I noticed a crack on a knot on the back of the bow. That same limb takes set more than the other limb while floor tillering. I don't hear any sounds or any warnings when I bend it a couple of inches but I am concerned. Can I do anything to fix it. I have thought of filling the crack with wood dust and then putting plenty of glue on it. If you think it isn't a problem please say so I'm open to suggestions.
Time is short

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: yew short bow crack
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:52:28 am »
I don't like it that close to an edge and its size compared to the bows width. Glue wont hold it. This is the kind of bow I put rawhide on and never worry again. Some may say you never need a back on a self bow if its done right. I don't agree. They just haven't used a stave that needs a backing to be a reliable bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 11:56:25 am »
How do you put rawhide on it
Time is short

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 12:00:40 pm »
With wood glue or hide glue. Search the term "Rawhide" on this site and start reading. Its not hard, but more than I want to type for the 32nd time, no offense whatsoever friend.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 12:25:08 pm »
Ok. One thing I don't understand is that should I back the whole bow with rawhide or just make a patch on the crack?
Time is short

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 12:34:12 pm »
You can go either way. Again, there are a few schools of thought. I'm a whole limb guy myself because I think wraps and patches are ugly. Not ineffective, just ugly.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 01:07:49 pm »
Yup I'm with Pearlie... that's a big knot and the cuts in the sap would would give me the horrors.
There is an alternative which is to rasp out an long shallow scoop say 3-4" long and say 3/16" at the middle fading out at the tips and glue in a matching patch of clean sapwood.
Example here:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/back-patch-and-tip-tidy.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 01:10:30 pm »
Del, we never agree. Must be the stars are aligned chap!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 01:14:34 pm »
My opinion is if that limb is already bending more then the other one the real damage might have already happened.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 01:17:40 pm »
They both bend equally but the limb which has the knot takes set (temporarily) while the other doesn't
Time is short

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 02:26:43 pm »
Ya fill that crack with dust and superglue and rawhide it. There's lots of YouTube videos as well showing the process. I'd smooth out those deep gouges too

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 02:28:58 pm »
I think you have  great advice from above,,
consider putting a sinew patch down,, a 3 or 4 inch layer over the knot before you rawhide back it,, it would add just a bit more stability to that area,, I say that because the rasp marks are a little scary for me as well,,
the sinew patch would not show,, or be on the belly just on the back, and the rawhide back would add strength and make the bow aesthetically pleasing  :)
also as Jawge would say,, leave that area a little stiffer in the final tiller,,

Offline aaron

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 08:49:12 pm »
I agree with what's been said. A knot like that needs rawhide or sinew. But be careful next time and avoid those deep gouges in the back around the knot. Even if the knot were not there, those gouges would probably cause the bow to fail. The back needs to be smooth, even on woods like yew that can handle some violation of the back .
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"