Author Topic: Good dog, Mollie!  (Read 1252 times)

Stringman

Good dog, Mollie!
« on: January 28, 2016, 09:39:11 pm »
A friend and I took the dogs to a private farm to chase some birds today and I'd say we did purty good! Mollie is a cute little Brittany/springer spaniel and her buddy is a 2 yr old short hair. They worked exceptionally well as a team and I was just amazed at how their styles complimented each other.

Every time one would point we would wait till the other dog backed it up and it was neck and neck on who was finding the bird first.

This bird waited while I snapped a few shots then took off on a dead run till the dogs jumped in and flushed it.

Couldn't ask for a better hunting buddy (and she has house manners to boot!!) Her points aren't perfect, but she has this wonderful habit of hittin a bird then circling to keep the bird in place. She is extremely accurate with her circles and with Gunner locked up tight and Mollie circling, it was not hard to know exactly where the bird was sitting.

All in all a very fun morning and ended up with some birds for the freezer. Good dog!

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Good dog, Mollie!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 09:56:42 pm »
Looks like a great way to spend the day.  Congrats on the birds.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 11:02:50 pm »
Watching a good dog work send shivers up your back. Nice pics.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 06:30:32 am »
Thanks for sharing. Lots of fun - sure do miss it - My Setter Izzy turned 12 last Fall. We're both too Old to chase Grouse any more. Did the Bird Farm thing once - had a blast shot a mix of Pheasants and Chuckers (good eats). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 06:58:20 am »
Nothing like watching a good dog work. We use to do it a lot but not many quail around anymore and most of the bird hunting in our area had stopped.  :( No one knows for sure but I think it's the on set of Yots and Turkey that have done them in. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gifford

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 08:43:20 am »
Great way to spend a day, spent many a day following my old English Setter, Nip, watching him work the fields, with my 20 gauge double in hand.