Author Topic: Oak Selfbow Failure #1  (Read 10178 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Oak Selfbow Failure #1
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2016, 01:21:20 pm »
High-Desert makes a good point.  Board bows will teach you a lot of lessons about grain.  Staves will teach you a lot about grain, too.  Both make bows.  And yet, some people just can't let go of the notion that somehow a board bow is a lesser bow than a stave bow.  I know, I used to be one of those people.  I started on staves for my first bows.  I made about 5 or 6 without a failure.  Staves were bloody expensive and western South Dakota really IS a bow wood desert, so I started fooling with boards. 

I was so ashamed, that I worked only at night, with the doors and windows shut tight and locked.  I was so embarrassed that I wouldn't even turn on the lights...these were worse than the unspeakable "effing"-glass bows, they were *spits on the ground* board bows.  Nonetheless, I turned out a bunch of really danged nice hickory kids bows, and even a few dozen mighty fine adult weight shooters!  But I was still stuck thinking they were somehow worthy of less respect than a stave bow.

Then I came across the P.A. website and saw people talking about red oak board bows, Jawge's information, and more.  I destroyed a hundred bucks worth of red oak without turning out what would qualify as a handicapped tomato stake!  Needless to say I was, and remain humbled.  Even now, after something over 200 bows, my latest red oak is coming in with more set than someone of my experience should be seeing. 

My point, and I have one, even though you can't see it when I wear a hat, is that you should make bows from wood*.  Whether that wood is a stave, or if that wood is a board, make a bow from it.

*Unless you have access to nice sections of rattan.  If you have access to rattan, then make bows from GRASS!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2016, 02:03:42 pm »
lots of great info, sometimes one can't afford a stave,,maybe the 12 dollars is a stretch,,I have been there,, so sometimes the best option is not the best option,,, you can make a bow from a board,, over build it, make it longer and wider than normal,, it will shoot fine,,, it will work,, when you can get one,, stave bows are nice too,, but like all bow making,, it is a trade off too,, a stave won't reveal itself so easy as a board,, and you have to work around unseen flaws in the stave, that takes experience of a different kind,,

Offline GB

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2016, 03:40:49 pm »
I think a board is a great choice for your first bow, whether you go with a pyramid or flat bow profile, although a pyramid is easier to tiller IMO.  Are there any hardwood lumberyards in your area?  It could be worth checking into.  I found one an hours drive from me that stocks hard maple, hickory, and Eastern Red Cedar boards.  Boards straight grained enough for bow making are tough to find even there, and I have look through their entire selection to find a couple that will make the cut.  As has been mentioned, hickory will tolerate a bit of grain runoff and is pretty tough to break.  O/w keep going back to the big box store and checking their inventory for straight grained red oak.  I really like the nice taper you did on your handle fades.  Looks way better than my first few.
Most of my bows are from boards, because of availability.  I have a small, inexpensive table saw that I can rip backers (usually hickory or bamboo) with and made a form that I can change to glue up Perry reflex, deflex/reflex, and even recurve profiles.  Over the years, I've seen those type of bows derided as "plywood" or "cookie cutters" by the less aware.  Believe me, I don't care.  They are sweet, fast shooting bows when I do my part laying them out and tillering them.  Make the bow that you like to make.
I do love osage selfbows, though.  Check out ebay or maybe somebody on here will set you up with a stave.  You'll want to buy a heat gun to flip the tips (and more than likely do some straightening) 'cuz that is one sweet profile.  Good luck on the next one. :)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline bubby

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2016, 03:46:17 pm »
You do not have to overbuild a board bow to get it to last, heck i see guys on here blowing up osage stave bows. I can probably build a bow with boards that will outcast many a "stave" bow from guys that spit on boards as low class, jeez people it's all wood
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2016, 04:06:03 pm »
This thread has been LOTSA fun to read! Ya'll would be a blast round a campfire. Thanks, fellas, for taking the time.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2016, 04:15:37 pm »
This thread has been LOTSA fun to read! Ya'll would be a blast round a campfire. Thanks, fellas, for taking the time.

Yeah, we'll all bring our famous failures and have a bloody BONFIRE! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2016, 05:13:03 pm »
if you are experienced you do not have to overbuild a bow, if you are a beginner,, overbuilding will give you better chance of success,,most the time,,

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2016, 06:34:09 am »
 Welcome to the last hobby you will ever have.

Just a tip when scrounging for boards. If you find a local hardwood mill, call ahead and tell them what you're looking for and why. The one I frequent was interested and helpful because it was outside the norm from their typical customers. After my first trip out and letting them watch me pick boards, they knew exactly what I was after. If I need a board now, I just call ahead a day in advance. When I get there they already have a half a dozen sorted out for me to choose from. I would also suggest Ash as an option for you if your lumber yards have it. It's a little easier to work with hand tools than hickory and I prefer it to red oak. 

PS. Don't force the wood, ever. If you learn to "listen" it will tell you what it's capable of.   
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Badger

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2016, 09:37:31 am »
  I still always browse through the red oaks when I go to home depot or lowes. If I find a nice straight one I pick it up. I think boards will always have a higher failure rate than staves. The denser specimens of red oak will tend to work better than the lighter specimens from my experience.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2016, 01:03:29 pm »
I was thinking the same thing Knoll, Mr JW obviously is a bit of a raconteur, I am going to have to try and road trip to one of the get togethers on here