Author Topic: osage kids bow  (Read 2927 times)

riverrat

osage kids bow
« on: February 13, 2016, 11:59:43 pm »
 grand daughter staying the night tonight. gave her that other bow i recently made. tells me "grand pa, this cant be my bow, i cant put the string on it." so i strung it up for her, handed her the bow. she tried pulling it. gave me a look and said, grand pa, i want to shoot bows with you tomorrow. i cant shoot this.soooo, i had another osage bow all mapped out on a stave, decided even though i want that bow mapped out, i can wait. im keeping that plains style pony bow any how. so we looked through my books. we got to the page with a Osage bow on it made of osage and she said i like that one.soooo, here we go again. been at it since 3 this afternoon. yes i used power tools. tomorrow is valentines day and i have to work monday. if im getting her a bow done by tomorrow morning before she goes home, need power tools. well its done now except for a string. its late so ill make one first thing in the morning before she gets up. it bends very evenly across my knee. i bet itll pull about 15 pounds at full draw. should fit her nice.im not going to put it on a tiller board. its light enough and short enough to see anything that might need adjusting after i string it tomorrow.hope she likes this one, im outta wood. Tony

Offline loon

Re: osage kids bow
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 12:51:52 am »
Good luck! Nice pyramid

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 09:08:25 am »
Nice job getting the little ones involved in shooting.  Looks like a good bow design.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 10:01:28 am »
Way to go, Papa! Hope she enjoys it. Looking forward to some pics with her shootin' it.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

riverrat

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 01:39:17 pm »
well the grand daughter stayed up till 130 this morning. we watched movies. sooo, she dont want to get up now.lol but my grandson was up. he wanted to shoot with g'pa. :) hes actualy a decent shot. more than a few times he can hit that bird from clear accross the yard on his first shot. today wasnt one of those days though. think it was because i was taking pictures. lol but if first you dont succeed, get closer, then closer, then if that dont work.....clobber that bird with the bow. what else are them pointy ends for? lol  Lilly's bow full draw. 25 lbs. at 18 inches. that arrow is marked at 19 inches. thats what im working on on that other bow.Tony
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:43:57 pm by riverrat »

riverrat

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 01:50:12 pm »
more pics...

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 01:53:35 pm »
Gotta love young ones shooting bows.

.hope she likes this one, im outta wood. Tony

If you ever make it down around the Marietta area I could probably hook you up with a couple of staves.
Steve Bennett

riverrat

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 09:10:38 pm »
thanks for the offer. yea kids are great. especialy grand kids lol.my grandson there, he likes everything i like, outdoors, shooting, trying to make bow drill fires, stuff like that. i have 4 grand kids. the other three are girls. but they all are tomboys.the other two girls will be getting bows as well soon as the weather gets good enough for me to take a stroll. lol i know where the city cuts a bunch of trees. they leave them lay for months before they get around to cutting them up. ive asked in the past if i can take them. everytime its yep, saves me from cutting them up. lol Tony

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 03:01:06 am »
Nice work Tony, that looks like one happy kid