Author Topic: Packable saws?  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
Packable saws?
« on: February 28, 2016, 01:52:20 pm »
Hey all. I am wondering if you could help me with a packable, folding saw choice. I have a cheapo one that has spent years in construction work and is not very efficient anymore. I would like to use a bow saw but I need something that I can carry in a small pack, so folding is best. I am want to get stuff cut up fast so peeping eyes don't frown on me:) and keep my daughter(who is riding on my back in the pack) happy. She likes me to keep moving lol! Thanks!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Packable saws?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 02:10:20 pm »
TP, there are quite a few folding landscape saws on the market. Corona and Felco come to mind. I have use both doing landscape work with good results. They both have aggressive teeth and I know the Corona comes in a 8" or so(folded) or 15"or so(folded). I keep one in my hunting pack. You can get tem from Home Depot or Lowe's or a reputable landscape supply.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 03:49:13 pm »
The Bahco laplander is a fantastic little saw. Cheap too!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 04:29:14 pm »
I bought a foldable saw at the dollar store for 2 dollars. It's of course some cheap Chinese stuff, but boy, I'm very pleased with it! It's about 9", and sharp as hell. I've cut several 6" diameter logs with it, and a large number of smaller ones. It broke after all the use and abuse. So I bought a new one, for again 2 dollar. I'll have to go through a lot of these cheap saws, before I come even close to the price of a foldable saw of a real brand. And I won't be upset if I lose or break one, because it was so cheap.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Thunder

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 04:35:18 pm »
I use and highly recommend a Sven saw, I keep a 15" in my pack and a 21" in my Jeep, they are light weight, packable and extremely sharp. They do take a second to assemble, but well worth the effort.

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 05:20:17 pm »
I have a small Li ion battery electric chainsaw that I can't imagine not having. It's so quiet and still cuts like a gas one just a little slower. It was part of a complete battery tool set my father bought. He had no use for it so he gave it to me. It's one of the few power tools I use often. I shy away from most power tools(for bow making) because I feel they lack the control you get with hand tools. 

If you're looking for a hand saw I recommend a small folding brush saw by Sierra. I've owned a bunch of saws of that style, but that brand's blade cut the fastest by far. It beat all the bows saws I've used as well. The only drawback is it has the hardest blade of the brands I've used. If it binds it can snap where others just bend.

I'm gonna try an old school vintage cross cut saw this year. If you disassemble it, it's as potable as a take down fishing pole. It was the choice of the industry prior to gas chain saws, so expect it to perform as such.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:50:39 pm »
Thanks for your input guys. I saw a Corona saw on canadian amazon that looks pretty good. I might give that a try. I wish my cordless 18 volt Milwaukee sawzall wasn't so heavy! Weight is an issue too, packing a 25lber on my back, then adding in another 5-10lbs for a saw makes daddy tired lol!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:32:28 pm »
You'll like the Corona. I use the smaller one but the longer one would be better for small trees, etc.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:17:27 am »
What ever you do check out the Silky range of saws. These are what all the tree surgeons carry in this country. I've got a couple and they are flat out awesome. Seriously have a look :)

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 03:41:45 am »
I've wanted a small saw for a long while so this thread is helpful, thanks  :)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 10:01:05 am »
You can go pretty fancy and expensive, but like Pat says, the Corona folders are not bad at all.  I carry them when I do tree work for clearing little twigs and stubs when I'm in the tree, so I don't have to fire up a chainsaw.  There is one about 20" folded that will hang on the backpack or fit in a cargo pocket, and they cut very well, fast, and I've had mine for 8 or 10 years.