Author Topic: "Andaman bow" or elongated paddle. Looking for advice, inspiration, tips n' pics  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Jodocus

Hi all

I have a piece of yew going on. Fast grown, rather low density, with two deflex kinks, but nicely straight and clean.
It's the remainig half of a stave I split in two. The other made a longbow a while ago:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,40589.msg542308.html#msg542308
I've been glaring at it for a long time and I want to make it an elongated paddle front profile. I have 80" of Wood but might shorten it somewhat.
I'll probably have rather extended, stiff, slightly recurved tips that bring the nocks up to 2" reflex. And a quite stiff center.

Has anyone made a bow like that, any advice to pass out?

Don't shoot!

Offline Frodolf

Funny, I'm halfway through making the bow you describe, my first of this design. Its 71", elm, and the plan is to have it bending just little bit in the handle. I haven't measured anything, but I think the middle section is about 1,2" wide and the widest part of the limbs, about 15" from the center or so, probably around 1,5" wide. Kind of sharply narrowing from there and the outermost foot or so is slightly (I'm hoping gracefully) recurved, stiff and narrow. I'm aiming for 50 pounds at 28". Maybe I'll tiller it to 25 or so and the heat treat it. Or maybe I'll let a little bit of the recurves do some work. I'm not sure.

With 80" at your disposal, you've got plenty of length for a stiff handle. What draw length and weight are you aiming for?

Offline bushboy

Someting like this?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

Side
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline ajooter

Those are your signature tips bushy....loving that!

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Jodocus

Pretty much like this! Except I have no car  ;D ;D Thanks for the pic. I'd love to see the tiller once you're done.
Don't shoot!

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Where I live there is a museum with a great collection of bows. They have a number of bows from the Andaman Islands (and lots of other places!). Next time I'm there I'll try to get some pics (not easy through glass!)
Loving the bow Bushboy!  8)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline bushboy

This is elm.shoots quite fast!