Author Topic: Atlatl build/questions  (Read 1918 times)

Offline H.P.

Atlatl build/questions
« on: April 04, 2016, 04:07:42 pm »
Well, started working on an atlatl this weekend. I managed to get a couple of darts made, but still have to make the foreshafts (I just made some temps with some dowels I had).  The wood is actually a cutting off a Fire Bush I trimmed back a couple of weeks ago.  It seemed to be the right shape and size so figured I'd give it a try (never used this type of wood before, so it's a bit of an unknown for me).  The bamboo shafts I picked up at Lowes.  Pretty snakey at first, but a little time with the heat gun did the trick.

Hoping to finish it up after work sometime during the week and get to slinging some darts this weekend.  Only thing left to do, really, is to install the spur and apply the finger loops.

Also started working on some bone points as well.  Anyways, thanks for having me on board!

~Harris

If I'm not pulling on one string, I'm thumping on 4.

Offline H.P.

Re: Atlatl build/questions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 04:14:40 pm »

The bamboo was a bit snakey, but got them straightened out enough to call it good enough:

The shafts are 66 inches, with the foreshafts their about 72.

Any comments opinion would be appreciate since this is my first atlatl build.  There's several stands of river cane close to the house I might take a look at this evening in regards to making more darts.  Haven't used it before, so I suppose some experimentation is in order.

Thanks!

~Harris 

Offline clewis

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 11:08:17 am »
Sweet!!!! I love your antler display set up. Ive been wondering about doing something similar. Check this link out, its filled with all kinds of neat stuff. Plenty of build along stuff and replication of original artifacts.

http://elfshotgallery.blogspot.ca/search/label/Darts?m=0
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:13:23 am by clewis »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 11:16:30 am »
Harris, looks like you got it figured out pretty good on your own.  Looks good!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H.P.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 01:05:24 pm »
Thanks y'all.  I'm going to hit a stand of cane I pass on the way home to see if I can cut any suitable stalks for making darts.  Hoping to get a little more work done on the handle today after I get home.  I did some test throws with the darts yesterday.  Might make the foreshafts longer and heavier to get the dart to flex a bit more.  But, I think they'll do once I get them tuned up.  My "antler display" was just a quickie wrapping jig I could clamp on my workhorse.  I've had the 'bow bug' forever, but I'm getting the atlatl bug as well it seems.

H

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 08:44:52 pm »
Sweet.
Looks like your just about ready for some fun. :)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.