Author Topic: New guy  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Justin.schmidt23

New guy
« on: July 14, 2016, 08:54:23 pm »
Hello all,
I'm new here and new to bow making. I made a red oak board bow about 3 years ago and fell in love. Well I've decided to get back into it. I'm thinking of making a hickory or osage long bow that's about 55" NTN my draw length is 26in. I want a short bow because I'm only 5'5 and don't like shooting a bow thats as tall as me lol. Anyway I'm think8ng about getting the stave from ebay. Does this sound feesable?
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 09:06:46 pm »
Hi Justin welcome to PA. We got two  things in common I just started building bows in Dec 2015 and I'm also 5'5". I think you should be able to build a bendy handle bow and come up with the draw length and bow length you want. I've never bought stave off E-Bay can't help you there.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:44:52 pm »
Welcome aboard, I  too am new and there's a ton of knowledge here. I think there are better options for a stave than eBay. I contacted Osage Outlaw on this site and he hooked me up. I bought a few staves to start with off eBay and they weren't much. Contact Clint tell him where your at on your experience and I guaranty he will ship you a top notch stave, plus he's reasonable. I would say there's plenty more here that will take of you too.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 09:51:06 pm »
Welcome to the addiction!!!!

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 09:56:16 pm »
Awesome responses guys thank you. I'm not a big fan of a bent handle bow. I'd LOVE to make a recurve but not sure how to properly bend the limbs.
I just sent osage outlaw a message I'd much rather spend my money on someone here than eBay. Gotta support each other.
Lol thanks gutshot I'm a disabled veteran so I have nothing but time on my hands so this is actually my second addiction.  I also make knives  something about making weapons with your own 2 hands :)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:14:18 pm »
Welcome aboard.  Good staves to be had on e-bay.  Lots of junk as well.  If it is your onlyest option, just be selective.  Good luck on the build.  Don't discount the bendies btw.  My favorite bow right now today, is a bendy handle I built 2 or 3 years ago.  Shoots sweet and hits hard.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 10:16:57 pm »
Just so you know being new and all we can't really buy or sell on this site but we can trade. Osage is a short guy too he's top notch. He might be interested in your knives in fact I'm sure a lot of us would, you can post them on other spots on this site. Also thanks for your service sounds like you got two good hands and like to use them, I sure we can help keep you busy Thanks again for your service. I think if you want that length bow a draw length you'll have to go bendy but I could be wrong.
Bjrogg

Offline loon

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 02:45:58 am »
welcome
could make one of those Marc St Louis style short deflex recurves?.. ..

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 04:11:17 am »
Just so you know being new and all we can't really buy or sell on this site but we can trade. Osage is a short guy too he's top notch. He might be interested in your knives in fact I'm sure a lot of us would, you can post them on other spots on this site. Also thanks for your service sounds like you got two good hands and like to use them, I sure we can help keep you busy Thanks again for your service. I think if you want that length bow a draw length you'll have to go bendy but I could be wrong.
Bjrogg

Thanks for the heads up on not being able to buy just yet. I'll see what I can come up with for a trade. Thanks for the compliment on the service. I wish I could have made a career out of it but life has other plans. I HAVE TO stay busy and work with my hands or I start going nuts lol. I'll look into bendy handles as well my board bow just seemed so dangerous long. I might shoot for 58" and heat treat for a slight recurve. Thanks again gentleman hall have been great.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 06:27:51 am »
Loon has a great idea there with Marc's bow design I forgot about them. Yea there are some rules on this site you might want to take the time to read nothing to drastic mostly common since.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 10:13:35 am »
Welcome and thanks for your service. With a good piece of osage and some sinew you should be able to get that draw length out of a rigid handled bow that short. I've done it several times.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 11:51:12 am »
Hey Justin, welcome.

You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave  >:D

If you post to the trading post you will surely get ahold of plenty of stave options and maybe get rid of something you don't really need instead of money  ;)

And thanks for serving the country.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 02:56:59 pm by DuBois »

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 11:53:14 am »
Welcome and thank you for your service

Aaron