Author Topic: Very cold weather  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Will Tell

Very cold weather
« on: October 15, 2016, 06:59:17 pm »
Was wondering if hunting in really cold weather for the day would effect draw weight in a Osage self bow or actually cause it to break.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Very cold weather
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 07:06:22 pm »
The two bows I sent to Noatak, Alaska to KyleWayne performed wonderfully down to -40F.  In fact, they harvested some fox right in the village, they did! 

Both were simply unbacked osage orange, stiff handled, narrow limbed self bows.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 07:58:19 pm »
If wood became brittle in extreme(but still natural) cold, trees would have gone extinct long ago. In my experience, I actually saw an improvement in performance. The reason being the much lower humidity during the winter in my area. Seflbows dislike water a lot more than cold for sure.

The only bow making material that I know for sure doesn't like sub zero temperatures is PVC, and most members of this site really wouldn't even consider it a bow making material.  :laugh:
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 11:10:54 am »
I'm no expert but can tell you from splitting wood with a maul it sure splits easier in the winter. Never hunted with a self bow in sub zero weather but sounds like it should be okay. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 01:17:15 pm »
Splitting wood goes with the grain. Frozen wood does split easier but frozen firewood and a tillered bow aren't even apples and oranges.
 I have heard tat yew is susceptible to breaking at very cold temps but have no personal experience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 02:54:41 pm »
We get very low humidity here and when it got close to single digits i quit shooting the yew i got from gundoc because i heard yew would blow in extreme cold that is low humidity and i didn't want to take the chance
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 03:01:16 pm »
Splitting wood goes with the grain. Frozen wood does split easier but frozen firewood and a tillered bow aren't even apples and oranges.
 I have heard tat yew is susceptible to breaking at very cold temps but have no personal experience.

The only sensible way to split cottonwood for firewood is to cut it late in fall and wait for a hard freeze.  But then, you are counting on the moisture in the wood to affect the grain of the wood and encourage the split instead of just absorbing the blow into the mushy soft wood.

I remember an early and extended thaw came to my little hometown in North Dakota back in 1972.  Leaves were just beginning to bud on the trees in late February.  The old timers were dour, this was a bad bad sign. Sure enough, a frozen hell came roaring down out of Canada and dropped the mercury to 30 degrees below zero.  Everyone in town woke to the sounds of artillery exploding up and down the streets.  Tree trunks with fresh spring sap had frozen, the moisture swelling until the trunks burst and split. 

But who the heck carries a sopping wet, fresh cut greenwood bow in the dead of winter?  If properly seasoned, the cold really has no great effect on the bow except to maybe add a little snap. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 11:54:21 am »
I believe that old yew in the cold thing is a myth.