Author Topic: handle size  (Read 1602 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
handle size
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:51:27 am »
Has anyone ever noticed that handle size affects the stability of a bow?   I'm not sure if it is my imagination, but I have 2 bows where the handle is "fatter" then my others and I seem to be more consistently accurate with these bows, than the narrower handle bows.
I never really thought about it before, but it is logical that a narrower handle is more likely to pivot or move whilst drawing and releasing. I know that the handle should be free to pivot and shouldnt be gripped tight..but once the bow has found its position in the bow hand, it must be advantageous that it is stable...?? so was wondering if anyone else could confirm my findings...or prove my logic wrong...

dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: handle size
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 12:00:48 pm »
I much prefer a chunky handle, I can relax in the grip better in the release than if I'm trying to hang on to a lath- always feel there's much lower chance of the string slapping my arm with the larger handle. I'm sure its all in my head but a big part of archery is psychological.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 02:15:05 pm »
Due to my occupation,i have rather large fore arms.unless i bend my bow arm to about half my draw potential,i slap my arm with a full hand grip.If i use a partial grip and cant my bow hand on the bow i prevent that and have better string clearance..I find that a larger grip works well for that style and prevents bow torque.This is one of the reasons i have come to prefer a working handle bow.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 02:49:20 pm »
This is a interesting topic thanks for posting ,this year I have mostly made and shot bendy bows & I shoot with almost a nonexistent grip & have had no problems with narrow limbs/handle 1 1/8  wide the bow doesn't pivot until the arrow is gone in most cases and the bow jumps in the hand a bit after the arrow is gone took me a while to get use to but get good accuracy with it ,handled bows I don't have a issue with wide or narrow but do like longer handles & longer fades seem to be more stable on release to me could be psychological to, but seems to act some what like a stableliser  I have fairly long fingers and hand so maybe that plays in , but for what ever reason if thicker handles work for you I would stick with them .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 02:51:33 pm »
I find a smaller grip works just fine,, or no handle even,,,I do agree that how you girp a wood bow will effects its performance for sure,, I find a loose grip will even give  me a couple fps when shooting through a chrono,,  everyone has a different style,,, so fat grip may work best for some,, and a smaller grip for others,, I have one of Byron Fergusons personal bows, and the grip is pretty big,,,, so must have been working for him,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 02:55:29 pm »
When you say fat grip are you including the arrow pass? I try to keep the arrow pass at about 1" or so. That coupled with all my bows being about 40# means I don't have to make so many arrows ;)

Offline Emmet

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 02:55:52 pm »
Some of my bows feel better then others and more consistent
but my most accurate of them happens to have the narrowest grip.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 09:18:03 pm »
I love having a small grip. It is much more comfortable for me when my hand dominates the grip. Plus, I have small carnie hands.  ;D

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 04:59:22 am »
It is all in the mind! Plus personal preference plays a big part. Not to mention subjectivity!
A bow will do the same thing everytime if you do. You mention stability but what is stability? How can a bow be 'unstable' in the hand? How can a bow pivot in your hand unless you have made a grip with a fulcrum AND then change your hand position shot to shot.
I can shoot all my bows to the same standard and there are some wide ranging designs...the only bows I don't personally get on with are short,wide handled bend in the handle bows - they just don't suit me. A well designed arrowpass with the arrow only touching at the center of the grip, properly spined arrows and a bunch of confidence are the most important things for accuracy/consistency imo.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 07:23:13 am »
It is all in the mind! Plus personal preference plays a big part....
Yeah my bows shoot better when I have my lucky underpants on ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.