Author Topic: Checks in belly a problem?  (Read 1035 times)

cool_98_555

Checks in belly a problem?
« on: December 21, 2016, 01:18:34 am »
Hello everyone,

I have been working on a really nice osage stave that has been seasoned with the bark and sapwood off for 4 years. I almost have it to a roughed out bow shape...1.5"wide by 1 1/16"thick at the fades.  I have it sitting in my apartment and just the other day I noticed 3 or 4 long tiny checks down the belly.  No checks on back or sides, judt the belly.  When i get it to final bow shape before tillering and i still see some of these checks is this going to pose any sort of problem for me? Checks don't run off the side .  Should I seal the belly every time I get done with it for the night?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 01:26:16 am by cool_98_555 »

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Checks in belly a problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 01:47:35 am »
They won't cause any problems. Seems the moisture left a little too quick when the fresh wood was exposed to air. If you have a spray can of shellac, next time you work on the bow, just hit it with the shellac. A very light coat. This way the wood can keep up with the moisture release.

But if it was me, I would let worry about it.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 09:15:04 am »
I wouldn't worry about it either as long as the checks don't run off the stave. You will probably eliminate them when you reduce the belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 09:29:18 am »
You could fill the cracks with thin superglue.  As you work the belly down during tillering you could refill them.  Like Pat said you will probably remove them as you thin the limbs.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

cool_98_555

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 11:56:05 am »
I still have a lot of wood left to take off of the belly and the sides before she's ready for tillering.  However, if I do end up removing them from belly reduction, I don't want any more checks to show up. Are there any ways to prevent further checks from occuring on the belly as I work down the stave?  I don't work on the bow every single day.  Sometimes there are a few days inbetween my time in the shop, so I don't want there to be any further checks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 12:08:00 pm »
If the bow wood is dry it shouldn't be a problem. Keep the back and ends sealed and work on it as you can. Even if the check do reappear they won't be a problem being they are on the belly. If you seal the belly also there is no place for any moisture that may be inside to escape.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 01:13:48 pm »
yes you can seal the belly every time you work on it,, spray on something or just glue is fine,,
it is proabably alot drier where you are working on the bow,, can you put it someplace with no heat when you are finished working on it,, if you coat it every time you wont get any more checks, as stated, they are not hurting anything,, but I dont like them either if I can avoid them,,
and Pat I do agree with you about the moisture, I just think a thin coat of something lets the moisture come out a bit slower,, and lets the wood acclimate to the climate without checking so much,, or that is my experience,, i have done that quite a bit on sinew bows ,, with postive results,, ,, seems like the sinew puts quite a bit of moisture back in the bow,, and if it comes out the belly it will check,, the glue on the belly seems to force it to come out the back,, :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:46:35 pm by bradsmith2010 »