Author Topic: Break In  (Read 7358 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Break In
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 07:34:24 pm »
I have got a stack of old junk boardbows in the garage, I am going to brace one measure the drw weight and then leave it braced for a week come back and see how much it has changed, i will report back just for the heck of it. Steve

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 09:05:07 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, Badger. Nice of you. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 09:47:26 pm »
Steve out of curiousity could you leave two bows braced one in a dry area and one in a humid enviroment.
Perhaps you have two similar bows so its apples to apples.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 09:49:16 pm »
Guess I was kinda (extremely) vague :P.

When I go to leave them braced, they are tillered to brace, and close to weight (acutally, several pounds under). I use a long string to get them to brace, then check the weight, then leave it braced (5"-6"). I have trouble getting them too heavy- as my desired weight is usally 80# or more on longbows. After twenty four hours, they show little to no string follow. The white oak I am currently finishing up actually held some of it's initial relfex after about thirty hours. I avoid any weak spots where compaction could occur.

Sorry 'bout that ;D.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 10:09:58 pm »
Dana, thats a good point. I gave a bow to my brotherinlaw once in ms, he never unbraced the bow for a solid year in very humid weather, when I came back a year later the bow string had no tension on it, the string was still straight but just barely.  We habe quite a bit of dew here at night so if I just left one bow sit outside it would proablybe a good test. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 11:21:32 pm »
Guess I was kinda (extremely) vague :P.

When I go to leave them braced, they are tillered to brace, and close to weight (acutally, several pounds under). I use a long string to get them to brace, then check the weight, then leave it braced (5"-6"). I have trouble getting them too heavy- as my desired weight is usally 80# or more on longbows. After twenty four hours, they show little to no string follow. The white oak I am currently finishing up actually held some of it's initial relfex after about thirty hours. I avoid any weak spots where compaction could occur.

Sorry 'bout that ;D.
Kegan, a bow tillered to 45# at brace may be under the final weight by 8 pounds at brace but still be seriously over weight at full draw.  I would never leave one strung unless you are really close or at final tiller. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 07:33:57 am »
I never leave one strung any longer than it needs to be,if I am tillering it I leave it strung,
if I am hunting I leave it strung or if I am shootinf a course I leave it strung ,but any time
while doing any of the things that it don't need to be strung I unstring it,if only for a short
time.If I shoot a 40 target course that is broke up in 2 20's I unstring it after the last shot and restring when I get ready to start the 2nd half.It's wood and it will wear out no matter what,
I see no sense in rushing it. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 10:31:15 am »
I do as Pappy does. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 09:49:45 pm »
Kegan
If a bow breaks on you it's not because you didn't have it braced for 24 hours to start off.  You should look for another reason to explain your broken bows
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Rich Saffold

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 12:38:10 am »
Got me laughing Marc! Kegan as you have read there's a "few" roads to the promised land, and they are all good..If I'm making a selfbow for someone, I'm going slower than usual, its getting left braced longer initially, and I am shooting it perhaps 1000 times before it leaves me. It's going to have a little more mass than my own bows, and a fatter string, plus its a wood I have used many times before..

If its a new species which is mainly what I use when making personal selfbows. (There's lots of new species where I live) I push it as far as I think I can get away with, its at full draw usually within minutes of stringing, and I don't care if it blows since that will tell me what to do with the second piece, but this is quite rare..

So more than anything else I tell beginners just to slow down, since the info about what to do is here, but success in the beginning just takes patience and perseverance..lots of both..

Rich- The species book for our town is 460 pages

Offline Kegan

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 07:42:32 pm »
Kegan
If a bow breaks on you it's not because you didn't have it braced for 24 hours to start off.  You should look for another reason to explain your broken bows

I do- impatience ;D.