Author Topic: When do you like to see set?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline willie

When do you like to see set?
« on: February 10, 2017, 09:05:28 pm »
Of course, we generally do not like to see set happen when we tiller, but I thought that I would open up the question of just how far into the tiller process does acceptable set rear its ugly head?

I would like to differentiate between set caused by excessive bends or hinges as some prefer to call it. Going too far without a correction.

The set I wish to ask about is the set that occurs, in a well executed tillering job, just before the bowyer reaches his intended draw length, and develops right where the bowyer designed the bow to be strained the most.

what do you shoot for, and what makes you happy?

Offline Selfbowman

Re: When do you like to see set?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 09:59:10 pm »
Willie I have built a bunch of bows that took 1-1/2 -2 of set . I would put 2- 1/2 in of reflex  in the bow and end up with a smooth shooting reflex deflex bow. I have gotten better at tiller as of late . I can hold most of my reflex ,and it makes the bow faster but not as smooth to shoot. Just my opinion .
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 10:16:41 pm »
     About 24" is pretty normal to start picking up a little set.

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 10:38:45 pm »
Thanks Badger, I know that you have your ways of seeing it coming, hopefully before it actually happens.

Do you find that you have to lay the bow aside overnight, before taking any more wood off? In order to see if, or how the bow recovers?

Just out of curiosity, if you start picking up a little set at about 24", what would be your expectation for overall set at 28?

Hope it does not seem like I am being to theoretical with these questions. I am in a discussion with another bowyer, and hope this thread can explore some of the nuances that the more experienced wish to pass along.

Arvin, it does seem that a little follow helps the bow seem smoother, thanks

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 03:24:36 am »
From around 20 onwards you get the useful set! Useful as in it tells you with certainty where you should be working on.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 07:55:28 am »
  If I can limit the set to 1" I am real happy.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 09:48:44 am »
I usually get 1.5 to 2 in of set at the end. Other than that I don't worry about it much. Remember if you start with 3 inches of reflex and end up with 2, you have 1 inche of set.

But I go to great pains not to strain the bow while tillering.

First, I make sure I don't string it unless it is 10-15# above target weight. How I do I do that? There are buildalongs on my site.

Second, while tillering I don't draw it to target weight with until I am at 25 inches for a 26 in. draw. Further, if I want 50#, I don't 40# until I am at 20 in. Then I bring the tiller in as described. I first saw Jim Fetrow talk about this method.

http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 03:19:39 pm »
I appreciate the comments from those that have weighed in, and would encourage any one with a related question, to feel free to ask whatever helps you understand tillering and developing set better.

George, when you say "10 to 15# above target weight", do you mean the estimated draw weight the bow "would" be if you were to pull it to the finished draw length without any further reductions?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:19:48 pm »
Willie, I mean that if I want a 50# bow, when I go to string the stave of the first time, it should be no more than 65# and 60 would be better.

It can be done by feel.

I developed a method to determine when a stave is ready for the short string using the long string.

You can read about it here.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/boardbowbuildalong.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 11:44:55 pm »
When its on somebody elses bow....

Ok serriously, i like it to start just past the fades and progress more as it gets towards the tips. The less noticable towards the fades the better.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others