Author Topic: Designs for Elm?  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Designs for Elm?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 09:00:35 am »
I've worked some of that same elm from Paul myself BJ. My first attempt with it came in under target draw weight as well and took a bit of set.
Its good wood, just get it dry and heat treat the belly good would be my only advice. Should work out fine with any reasonable design.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 09:10:47 am »
Thanks badly bent, it's definitely different than the HHB I've been using. It should be cured real good. I'm kinda surprised how it works. I seems to rasp fairly easily compared to HHB. I thought it would be like the dead standing dead ones we use for firewood. Those things are hard as glass. Really need good sharp saw.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 09:18:08 am »
It's definitely cured/seasoned BJ, just make sure it is dry as in moisture content. I kept my roughed out ones in the hot box to keep from picking up more moisture between working sessions, seemed to help.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 09:30:15 am »
Do you happen to know what kind of elm it is?My red elm here is junk.I picked up a nice winged elm stave from Jon W yesterday.Not sure if it's a Missouri or Oklahoma wiinged elm really if that makes a diff but I've made 1 winged elm from a stave from Twin oaks that was from South Carolina.That elm was almost as hard as my hickory here.Made a real nice 63" holmgaard type levered bow from it.A static sounds like a great idea this time too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 09:49:03 am »
BB it should be dry to its been in my heated shop but I will keep that in mind and I do think I'll heat treat belly good.
Ed I'm not sure. I think it's called American Elm. I'm really not sure if it's the same as what I have growing here. Everything here gets about 6 or 8" diameter then gets Dutch Elm disease and dies. It's been so long since I've used Elm lumber if forgot what it works like. I do remember it never stayed straight and you didn't want to have to split it. Still remember the string of expletives my dad said when all the big Elm died and he was trying to split them for firewood.lol That was probably over 45 years ago.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 10:26:00 am »
Beadman, winged elm is just the stuff you want.  Good as any.  I use a lot of what I BELIEVE is Russian or Siberian elm, just because it's everywhere.  Not very hard, SO scruffy and fibrous.  It will make a bow, but doesn't split, cut, rasp, shave, or shoot like the better, hard white elms.

"I was mostly worried about compression and wondering how to design for it."  If you are worried about compression, leave it wide.

Elm with a low crown doesn't seem to strain the belly lots more than a high crown, esp if you give it a little trap at the sides, too.  It's just that the low crowned back isn't any better at not breaking than the high crowned back.  If that makes sense.