Author Topic: Persimmon wood  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Red Arrow

Re: Persimmon wood
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 04:18:53 pm »
This is the tree she wants me to cut down. What do you think? Is it worth doing to get staves from it?
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline gfugal

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 04:33:54 pm »
 It looks really long and straight so I would say heck yes, but maybe there's a twist in the grain a little bit but I can't tell too much with the image. Either way you should be able to get quite a few bows from it regardless. It does look like a lot of work though. It's a big beast. It's up to you to determine if the work will be worth the products. Depends on your tools and time too.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 06:25:59 pm »
Bark is straight so hopefully the grain is too. There's 2 or 3 straight sections of 8-10' each I can get staves from so I should be able to get 12 or so out of it. The rest will go on the wood pile for the stove next winter.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 08:22:21 pm »
Cut some wedges out of it to use for splitting staves later on.  Persimmon wedges stand up to a lot of sledgehammer strokes.   It is related to ebony.  It is very dense, but I found that it needed wider limbs than I expected.  I have only made a couple of persimmon bows.  One of them provided one of the more spectacular blow ups that I have ever experienced.  I had tried to correct a lateral bend with dry heat.  I didn't have much experience with the technique at the time.  When that sucker blew, the pieces went flying - four of them that I found. :-K 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 08:44:51 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind when I get ready to tackle this one.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Limbit

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 02:11:30 am »
Looks perfect!